Ignition leads

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
mozzy
Admin

Ignition leads

Postby mozzy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:47 pm

Again posting on behalf of lazy bub :P

Can anyone recommend good ignition leads for the City Turbo?  NGK offer leads for N/A City's (ER1 - ER4) and BOSCH also have them, but can't find anyone making them for City Turbos (ER-T).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: Ignition leads

Postby Colza » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:52 pm

As far as i am aware, an spark plug lead is a spark plug lead....

Correct me if im wrong here, but i think the only people who buy 'performance' sparkplug leads are the ones who have run out of things to spend their money on.

mozzy
Admin

Postby mozzy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:14 pm

Ok, we are not necessarily looking for 'performance' leads, we just want to know which are the best replacements as they have not been replaced since the rebuild.

Will the normal N/A City leads be ok?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:33 pm

If its the right length, and it sits in a sensible place, then its good :)

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:12 pm

Thicker leads mean less loss in spark strength over the course of the lead. This means a stronger spark and better ignition. I would just take your leads down to repco or supercheap or something (repco's good they have a  big rack of different ones) and pick out some store branded 8mm leads that are the right length and have the right connectors, they will do you fine. 8mm is good for stock, wanna go 9mm or something only if you run more voltage, ie MSD coil or something.

eddie
Forum Enthusiast

Postby eddie » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:09 pm

I am using Eagle 9mm leads which cost around $50 at Autobarn. It is better in a way which the spark are stronger and more fuel economy. It would be best also to put in the earth one.

And the coil, I have ask some performance shop. They told me since I am only a small car, there is no point of getting a $200 MSD igition unit in there. As there wouldn't be any different in performance.

So I assume spark leads are good.

James

Postby James » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:38 pm

Yeah there wouldnt be anypoint in getting a stronger coil for your NA city unless you were running really really high comp ratio. When you are boosting, its a bit more important to have a strong spark as it is easy to blow them out with boost.

civic_killer

Postby civic_killer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:58 pm

im just using ones off a old civic, seem to do the job very well, so cheap 2.

Henry

Postby Henry » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:45 pm

N/A lead sets seem to have some different lengths in them than the cars have and the coil lead is a different length because of the mounting position. I put 8mm ones in mine when I was trying to find a problem but yoy can't notice any difference in performance. Test your existing leads with a digital meter, the resistance should be 25,000 ohms maximum, if they are below that they should be ok.

Return to “General”