EL OR EK MOTOR

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Richie

EL OR EK MOTOR

Postby Richie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:48 am

Hi fellars just joined the club.

I have a Q to ask Just got a city turbo II in process of rebuilding. Just want to know if there has been any problems with using EL/EK motor for turboing.Has there been any problems with cranksharf/conrods everything in general.Want to try & get 200hp if possable mite not be realistic.But want to find out if im asking to much before i start,I'd appreciated all the input thanks. ::)

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: EL OR EK MOTOR

Postby James » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:26 am

The only turbo EK that I have actually heard of recently is one on the http://www.civic1200.com forum, and he was running a blow-through setup on an EL head with only about 6 psi boost but he was getting around 110Hp at the engine with that.

EDIT: I just went and found the post and I was a little wrong, hes running a whole EL engine and only 4psi!
well, here it is! been building on and off since october. total list of mods:

accord vented rotors and calipers in the front
lightweight racing seats
stripped a bunch of junk
1.6L accord motor
5-speed accord tranny
t3 turbo
presurized weber 32/36 carb
aeromotive boost dependent pressure reg
15psi fuel pump
msd 6a
holley super coil

ps. the engine is dead stock, never opened with 270,000 km on it! ha ha ha

so far according to my g-tek thingy before any initial tuning and 4psi boost(running very rich):

1850 pounds with no driver
0-60mph = 7.39 seconds
1/4 mile = 15.8 seconds 90mph
76hp at the wheels

very happy so far, cant wait to start cranking the boost up!

well, curiosity got the better of me ;)

installed my boost button on the shifter. dont know how much i added yet (still no guages.....).

now i'm reading 115hp AT THE WHEELS!
0-60mph = 6.5 sec
1/4 mile = 14.3 sec 104mph

better find out how much boost i'm sitting at soon. i hear a slight bit of detonation when im a high gear at top boost. have to play with my timing / fuel some more before i crank it up another notch...

tooooo be continued!!!!!!!!!!!!

stripped the rest of the tools, spare parts, spare tire out of the back tonight for some more runs... 0-60mph = 5.93 seconds, still no better 1/4 mile, 14.3s at 104 mph.

Thats a damn good power for that sort of boost, that making city turbo power without even trying, and its bloody carbed!

I personally think that the whole EL engine would be a better engine to turbo because it has a much better capacity for revs, but the EK would definately feel nice to drive cause it has so much torque, but I think you would break traction a hell of a lot.

As for pushing these engines, I think you might have to be the frontier man, you can wack a turbo and fuel injection on one of these engine, and see where things start to break, will be very handy for me to know when I come to building my EL.

Im thinking the pistons could possibly not like it, but if they go, its an iron block, you can just hone it a bit and chuck some forgies in it.

I would say that as a first move, putting in some steel rods would be a very good idea, honda rods are notourious for being built close to how strong they need to be and not leaving much room for high cylinder pressures.

Mark_Moddy
Forum Regular

Postby Mark_Moddy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:50 am

The Early Accord EG motor was 74x93 (1597cc).
This was replaced by the EL motor which was 77x86 (1602cc).
The EK motor is 77x94 (1751cc).

It's difficuilt to find an EK motor in Australia.

I suggest you over bore an EL block from 77 to 79mm, and use the 93mm crank from an EG motor, giving 1824cc.

The last time I looked a City Turbo inlet manifold will fit onto an EL or EG motor, requiring to more just two studs.

You may have to change the throttle body to a larger one. At 1824cc I don't think a City one would be big enough !

Make sure to use a 8 valve head not a CVCC one. That way an aftermarket computer could be hooked up with no problem.

Back in 1978 a mate put a turbo onto a new Accord, and it went really well. Until he broke a piston !!

Hope these details add to the discussion.

MM

James

Postby James » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:15 am

Yeah when I do it I wont be touching any city turbo parts on that engine. Start with a nice alloy log manifold and a SiR throttle body, and a nice steam pipe turbo manfiold. No point in screwing around with tiny city turbo stuff if your going for power.

Richie

Postby Richie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info.

I do have a head from EK motor and a EL motor to suit.
The block is bored out to 1.00m not sure if it can be bored any more.The bore has power score in it to deep for my liking. The head has all the work done to it porting and modified to suit ER manifold and injectors so i'm still waiting for a EL/EK motor come through. Hoping to here from anyone whos had success with these motors and mods thanks.

James

Postby James » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:04 pm

If I were you I would have stayed well away from CVCC, its a hassle to deal with.

To make decent power you are gonna be so far off the fuel that the city turbo ECU wants to give, I think you would have been better off doing a complete EL build, but hey you've got this far.

So do you plan to run the city turbo computer? And are you going to tune mixtures just by increasing or decreasing the size of the injectors?

James

Postby James » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:59 pm

I have been in contact with that guy i quoted above.

He has recently rebuilt his block with a 1mm overbore and the EK crank in it. It also has had a port and polish and a cam grind. He is hoping for 200Hp without putting the boost up, should be interesting to see how he goes.

Return to “General”