Boosting problems

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
gofishdan

Boosting problems

Postby gofishdan » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:03 pm

I hav a 83 city turbo and am having boosting problems as the car accelerates in first it will boost fine up to about five and a half grand but in any other gears it seems to cut out at about two and a half to three grand revs any one got any ideas for me to try i was going to do the fuel filter but i cant find it as i am not very fimilar with turbo cars and or front wheel drives

cheers  ???

Brendan
Admin

Re: Boosting problems

Postby Brendan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:32 am

Hi gofishdan,

Just moved your post from the infobase as you must've missed/ignored the "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" at the top of the board so that I had to come along and move your post and delete the old thread.  Its in the right place now though, I'm sure there's plenty of members keen as mustard to help you out!

Cheers!

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:16 pm

Sounds like boost cut mate. You probably have a stuck wastegate. Best way to check is get a boost guage on there and see what level of boost you get to when it cuts.

Nateh
Forum Participant

Postby Nateh » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:37 pm

Bigelboe, just out of interest as I have not done anything about my wastegate as of yet and its been fine, what should it be boosting at when it cuts? My boost guage shows 20 vac when its idling after its warmed up and it boosts to nearly 18psi in second and third (havent tried in fourth as at top of third im already doing 90km/h) I have no boost mods, only a pod filter with a very short pipe on it (its a bit longer than the standard airbox left hand side pipe was).

Is my car funked or am I just lucky with the 18psi?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:36 pm

You should be cutting hard at ~15psi

At first guess I would say your boost guage is poked.

At second guess I would say someone has put a boost cut defender in it and fiddled with things.

If it has standard fueling you are running it a bit lean, generally considered 17psi is about the limit before you start getting on the lean side of things.

What is the status of your exhaust? Got a dump on it?

Do you have an intercooler?

gofishdan

Postby gofishdan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:39 pm

cheers for replying dude what is the best way to check if it is stuck i have heard that this could be a problem but couldn't work out how to move the waste gate
it is all standard but the pod filter is going on next week as i will have some time off work to fit it and build the pipe work but no i don't have an inter cooler are the factory ones around or would i have to graft on another one from a different vehicle

can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is please  ???

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm

have a look at the manual for the filter position

HB
Forum Regular

Postby HB » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:54 pm

do u have a surge when you are on full boost? mine was running 30psi and suring everywhere wheni put my foot down long enough.
One of my mechanic friend fiddled with a vaccum hose and its now running about 15psi, doesnt surge anymore.
When i had this problem, i though i had problem with fuel filter, couldnt find right fuel filter until i came along to southern honda in dunedin, the parts guys said its about$58. didnt have money to change the fuel filter, i took it to my friend, put boost guage on, i was boosting abour 2bar+. i think one of my hoses were jammed.

i hope this helps.

Nateh
Forum Participant

Postby Nateh » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:06 pm

You could be right about somebody playing round with it, I have a empty hole in fusebox that says fuel cut on it. My car spent 7 years in jap before it was shipped over and it came without a parcel tray, yet it had the side bits for one. I also found a blown amp under the passenger seat and wires leading to the back but not connected so id say it had been customed at some stage and then an attempt had been made to put it back to standard.

My exhaust is standard but its aparently (according to the fags at pitstop) had to have a flexi join put on it as it aparently looks like its snapped off at least once [bullshit, they just want money as they told me my civic exhaust was poked when it fell off and a garage put it back on for $20 and its been 6months and no probs].

I own an intercooler, but its in the boot as I havent decided on placement yet.

My boost guage runs off the main Vac pipe that runs from the bell shaped thing across the top and around to the back by the firewall, seems to be showing the right vacuum too. 17psi Is only possible when warm and with a straight road and some good clutching, anything higher cuts.

Return to “General”