The EL / EP / EK outcome

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Re: The EL / EP / EK outcome

Postby BOOSTBOY » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:58 am

Why use city turbo manifolding with this conversion?

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:09 pm

[quote author=BOOSTBOY link=board=GEN;num=1100296130;start=30#30 date=11/26/04 at 09:58:37]Why use city turbo manifolding with this conversion?[/quote]

cheap, simple, less hastle, proven material.

A good (read lasting) manifold outa steam pipe takes a little bit of time to do.

I do think that a new manifold and more importantly new INTAKE manifold with a good throttle body etc would make a HUGE difference.

Aftermarket ECU will open up the possibilities big time!

Cheers

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:33 pm

so how can i identify an engine?what are the casting numbers ect of a el ,or does it have EL stamped on it...

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:50 pm

[quote author=robg link=board=GEN;num=1100296130;start=30#32 date=11/29/04 at 17:33:10]so how can i identify an engine?what are the casting numbers ect of a el ,or does it have EL stamped on it...[/quote]

yeh, has EL stamped on the motor, right by where the gearbox caseing goes.

standard honda sorta thing :)

Cheers

Jw

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:54 pm

Older honda engines have the engine number stamped on a flat plate around the back of the engine, near the starter motor, on the flange where the engine bolts onto the bellhousing. On the newer engines(b series d- series), its in a similar type of position but on the front of the engine, about level with the sparkplugs if they are side plugged.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:36 pm

[quote author=bigelboe link=board=GEN;num=1100296130;start=30#34 date=11/29/04 at 18:54:05]Older honda engines have the engine number stamped on a flat plate around the back of the engine, near the starter motor, on the flange where the engine bolts onto the bellhousing. On the newer engines(b series d- series), its in a similar type of position but on the front of the engine, about level with the sparkplugs if they are side plugged.[/quote]

yeah what he said, much better :)

Jw

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:42 pm

im wanting to be pretty certain of what im gona do before i start.Im wanting a 1800 ,so thats a ek bottom end,with non cvcc,do all ek's have cvcc?or could i just get a el head an get it fully ported ect so it has the same(or bigger) sized valves an thatas a ek.with custom manifolds (i found a good site with instructions on building them and calculating diamiter an length ect).a link (or similar),a big ass turbo,intercooler ect.Will the gearbox handle all this?im guessing traction (read -lack of) will become an issue ,how much is a lsd or sumthing,i remember reading it on another topic ,but a quick answer shouldnt be 2 much of  a hassle.
thanks
rob

James

Postby James » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:04 pm

Weeellll, yes all EK's are CVCC but a ported EL head will do very very nicely. You canf it silghtly bigger valves in the, I had a look the other day, prolly just exhaust tho. Manifolds should be all good, link will be good also. Gearbox *should* handle it, honda boxes are pretty strong, it could probly do with a rebuild, just to be sure.

Have a search for old posts about gearboxes, there is a big post with all the ratios of compatible gearboxes. Do some calculations, including tyre dia, max revs, and using one of those online calculators, work out what trap speed you should be expecting to make with what power you are expecting to make and get this speed as close as possible to redline in top gear of whatever box you choose, this means best payoff between top speed and accel.

Hopefully your CV's wont throw a wobly, they should last OK at around 2-300 HP unless you go for really sticky tires.

Custom LSD is gonna cost you a packet, IE about 2000 prolly, has anyone had a look at using a D series LSD? They have the correct splines and cv spacing after all, so it might just require at transplant of ring gears and a bit of machining of the diff housing, hopefully anyway.

John_S.
Forum Enthusiast

Postby John_S. » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:43 pm

Hi Guys,
I would definitely like to find out more about the possibility of using an LSD out of a ready made Japanese variant with some reasonable machining...recycling you know... by the way in USA  we had three EK heads( all CVCC) early 79-81 2-port exhaust worthless head, 80 California...81 USA four port exhaust( like the non CVCC head but with CVCC) and a final 82 Prelude...82-83 Accord Four port exhaust...like the later EL head. The last is the best as far as basic design, but only the early four port will fit the City manifolding. I am still unclear as to what crank your 1600 EL used. Our 1600 crank which fits the early 1500 civic motors, I believe has different bore spacing than the 1600 cranks you have, as our 1751 cranks do not fit the 1500 blocks only the 1751 blocks. Are you as confused as I am now?

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:29 pm

went into the wreckers today .$500 for a ek!!!bugger that ,any one in nz want to donate one for the greater good of the city turbo community....

robg
Forum Enthusiast

Postby robg » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:55 pm

i just want the bottom end ,doesnt matter if its not going or anything cause ill want to rebuild the whole thing....

anything cheaper than 500.Or if anyone knows of one?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:58 pm

Strong for Honda in Auckland said they could sell me an old Accord engine from their yard in 'uncertain' condition for around $100 +gst for a short block. That short block will come out looking more like a long block too because they would have to spend time taking the manifolds etc off. Give them a ring.

Mark_Moddy
Forum Regular

Diffs for EL conversion

Postby Mark_Moddy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:07 am

Has anyone made progress with the EL conversion ?

You are kidding yourselves if you think you can get the power to the ground with an standard 'open' diff.

I have the 'Quaife' type Torsen LSD diffs.
They would be ideal for an EL conversion.
I run one in my rally car with NO problems.

Am looking at getting another batch made.

Is anyone intertested in a LSD ??

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:14 am

YES! Give me an idea on how much, and tell me when you plan on getting the batch made. I will start collecting money ASAP. (sell the house, sell the kids, sell my wife, my car is the only thing i need to keep ;D)

James

Postby James » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:37 am

I heard on the grapevine that value for money you are better to go for a Phantom Grip type lsd if your gonna get it cusom made...  Sure they arent as good around corners as quaifes but they are less than half the price and I think if you put fairly tight springs in them they would nearly be better for drag than a quaife, clutch type LSD's are very good at drag racing, getting close to the perfect locked diff

Return to “General”