CV Joint

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

CV Joint

Postby Henry » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:30 pm

Has anyone replaced one of these lately, I'm not in need of one but it would be a handy to have the part numbers in the Info-Base.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Re: CV Joint

Postby city_cabriolet » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:35 pm

I got my Cabriolet's LHS CV joint rebuilt.

It came back with a ProT doket :(

Not sure what i'd do with the T2 ??? A ProT CV wouldn't be made to withstand the power of a T2!

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Even a 150hp city turbo will be well within the capabilities of any driveshaft you will encounter. Not really directly relavant, but even Ronnie Lim uses (or used to not long ago) factory driveshafts! They will be fine :)

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:11 pm

i'm a disbeliever.

a T2 CV ball-joint would be made with a 110hp rating.

a ProT CV ball-joint would be made with a 67hp rating.

My belief was that the metal they use (to save costs) may be different. In size/material ???

Think about it, a T2 head is the same as the standard right? Well, just because the holes are the same size, doesn't mean it's made from the same material. The T2 head has titanium in it, a std head doesn't...

FWD CV joints are prone to die, i don't think a ProT joint would last as long as T2 joint... but that's just me, i don't see why they'd be the same (manufacturing costs are ALWAYS kept to a minimum).

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:54 pm

(manufacturing costs are ALWAYS kept to a minimum)

Excatly, I know that the T1 and T2 cv joints are the same.  Pretty sure they are both the same as standard city. This would be to keep costs down.  Only having to make one type.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:47 pm

but ProT's only have 11' tyres ???

T1's 12' and T2 13' tyres... More stress on CV's with 13' and double horses.

Henry

Postby Henry » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Don't think the tyre sizes would come into the equasion but the T11 driveshafts have a bigger diameter than the Pro T don't they?

K1W1
Donating Member

Postby K1W1 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:58 pm

Sad to say I'm about to go thru this saga , Place in Edwardstown (attn Henry) just around the corner from work . Potter Honda (big dealer here in Adelaide )quoted some huge mega bucks price for each side a while back so been putting up with the noise .I reckon they use the same mob . Been looking for other wheels to get the PRO-T off the road for some serious work . Got myself an '85 civic for an amazing $500 rough as guts on the outside but drives like a dream , ticks over nicely .So the upshot is will be able to tell all soon .Will ask what the diff is between the two cars, my guess is they wouldn't know unless they actually saw the difference with the parts side by side out of the car.
Henry give me a time suitable to catch up .

Mark_Moddy
Forum Regular

Postby Mark_Moddy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:23 am

The City and Civic driveshafts are BIGGER than those in a Mazda 323 Turbo. And way bigger than those in a Swift GTi.

The CVs are also much bigger.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:32 pm

Manufacturning costs are kept to a minimum by having as many re-usable parts between models as possible.

SERVICE costs are kept to a minumum by building in a safety factor. No one would buy a honda if the CV joints were built to take exactly 65hp and there fore broke every 10 minutes! I can guarantee there will be a safety factor of at least 2 or 3 times ie 130-200hp!

T2's do have slightly bigger driveshafts, but im fairly sure that T1's and Pro-T's are the same. There is only a 10 hp difference between a T1 and a T2.

But, the best argument has to be that:

I have a well modified city turbo engine in my civic. My stock Civic will have no thicker driveshafts than your Pro-T, infact they are probably smaller if anything. My City turbo is (i would like to think ;)) putting out several more hp than factory and my CV's are perfectly fine.

The Pro-T CV's will cause you no troubles i assure you.

James

Postby James » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:32 pm

Just to add to that, you will need a lot more traction than you can get running road tires that fit on a city to break a honda cv joint outright. Ronnie lim used factory shafts and cv's with slicks up until his engine was extremely powerful, 3-400hp, whereas like it is now, at like 700hp or something, when he breaks driveshafts every run.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:37 am

Just found out the drive shafts, and Cv's are the same on the n/a city, T1, and T2.

PGNUTA
Forum Enthusiast

Postby PGNUTA » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:38 pm

I would have to doubt the validity of that statement... (don't shoot me)

Explanation:  T1 and T2 wheelbase are slightly different widths.  I know this because when i came to replace a steering rack end i got one for a T1 and it was about 1" too short, therefore it's probably safe to assume that the t1 and t2 driveshafts are different lengths.

On another note, i agree that Honda would have wanted to keep manufacturing costs to a minimum... But the cost of manufacturing drive shafts and CV's for all different models of honda city for the sake of saving on raw material costs would have been alot more than the cost of simply manufacturing a drive shaft and cv for a t1 and possibly t2 and putting those in all city's and city turbo's

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:16 pm

Acutaly the only thing different is the bottom suspension arm.

The part of the gearbox where the driveshafts go into, on the T2 is slightly wider then on a a T1 this forces the driveshafts out on the T2 by a small amount, which results in the need for a different suspension arm on the T2. But the drive shafts and Cv's are excatly the same.

I have had bot ha T1 drive shaft and a T2 sitting side by side and there is no difference.

Henry

Postby Henry » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:05 pm

Thanks Hyper, finally got an answer to the question! I knew the T11 driveshafts were longer but that doesn't have much to do with the CV joint.

Return to “General”