Removing Turbo

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
kahuna

Removing Turbo

Postby kahuna » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:18 pm

Hi guys,

I new so please be gentle.

I have just bought a 80 Civic with a ER Turbo motor conversion.
The old man is freaking out that I bought it, the only way that I can keep the car now is to remove the turbo.

Is it possible to disconnect/remove the turbo all together?
Will I damage the motor running it without the turbo?
What do I have to do to remove it, like will I have to change the compression ratio or change the ECU, retune etc.

It will be only for a year until the dust settles at home, after that I putting it back on.

Its going to be a LONG!!!!!! year.

Any info would be grateful.
Thanks

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: Removing Turbo

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:44 pm

kahuna wrote:Hi guys,

I new so please be gentle.

I have just bought a 80 Civic with a ER Turbo motor conversion.
The old man is freaking out that I bought it, the only way that I can keep the car now is to remove the turbo.

Is it possible to disconnect/remove the turbo all together?
Will I damage the motor running it without the turbo?
What do I have to do to remove it, like will I have to change the compression ratio or change the ECU, retune etc.

It will be only for a year until the dust settles at home, after that I putting it back on.

Its going to be a LONG!!!!!! year.

Any info would be grateful.
Thanks

There is no way it would work with it removed.

One option is to wire the wastegate open.

However if you run without the turbo going for a considerable period of time, from what dad and i have seen it will cause damage to the engine (well thats in the case where the turbo is stalled completely) , normally a minimum of a blown head gasket.

However if you a running with the turbo free wheeling im not sure what effect it would have, just be aware they motors are designed to run under boost.

Good luck

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks Hyperblade.

I understand that it will probably cause damage if I disconnect the turbo but I am willing to remove it totally from the motor.
I assumed that the turbo was force feeding the motor.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:49 pm

kahuna wrote:Thanks Hyperblade.

I understand that it will probably cause damage if I disconnect the turbo but I am willing to remove it totally from the motor.
I assumed that the turbo was force feeding the motor.

I think thats a lot of work for little reward, just wire the wastegate open, this means air will still go into the engine but the turbo won't be providing boost, then if want boost you just have to unwire it.

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:14 pm

That would be the easiest way but he wants it totally removed.

If I get pulled up by the police he doesn't want them to see a turbo bolted to the engine.

I'm in a delima now as it looks like I may have to sell it if there is no easy way to remove the turbo. I assume that I will have to get a special adapter made up so I can reconnect the engines inlet/outlet back to the exhaust.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:23 pm

kahuna wrote:
I'm in a delima now as it looks like I may have to sell it if there is no easy way to remove the turbo. I assume that I will have to get a special adapter made up so I can reconnect the engines inlet/outlet back to the exhaust.

Yeah you would need to make an adapter, for the manifold to exhaust connection.

You would also have to modify the oil lines which feed the turbo.

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 pm

How do I get someone to make it, do you know anyone in Sydney who would help me remove the turbo and make it work.

What about the electrics, or fuel line.
Do you think I'll damage the motor or ECU.

I know I'm a pain but I'll try anything to keep this car.
Thanks for your responses.

James

Postby James » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:45 am

There Isn't much trouble of the cop seeing the turbo, its buried under the engine, he may however see the big letters TURBO in red on the rocker cover and the associated piping.

Dont bother removing it, the cars are absolutely arse to drive with no boost, would be slower than a factory civic.

You could wire the wastegate open and that would still give you a little bit of boost, but that doesnt solve your problems.

Guess you shoulda asked your dad before you bought it if he has so much power over your decisions...

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:20 am

just out of interest what is your dads arguement about the turbo?

also, ive seen turbos blocks and plated and the cars have gone fine, just no wheels in turbo so makes no boost at all
just means they go slow :(

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:19 pm

The problem is because I am a provisional driver , ie less then 2 years driving experience, it is illegal to drive a turbo charged car.

I loose my licence if I get caught and the car will be defected as the registration papers so it is NOT turboed.

Guess I'll have to lock it up in the garage for another year or do a engine transplant.

Thanks for your help.

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:25 pm

One more point.

How then would I wire the wastegate open, could anyone give me instructions?

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:23 pm

you should also think about insurence issues if your car has an illegal non engineered engine transplant.
even if you do wire the wastegate open you will still get flogged by the cops because the car is still turbo,they could care less weather it is disabled or not.i sugest you sell it.or mothball it untill you get your full licence.maby this was a time that you should have listened to your old man.
i am on my green ps but got my licence before the new laws came into effect so i can still legally drive the city(and my v8 ute before it went to ute heaven :cry: ) but that dosent mean i dont get the third degree from most of the police that have stopped me in the last year or so,one nasty female officer even began to arest me before her partner decided to actually read my licence she then went the full search of the car and a check for defects etc funny thing is she didnt even see the bright blue blow off valve hiding behind the airbox!
matt

kahuna

Postby kahuna » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Thats what I'm thinking Matt.

I either sell it now or mothball until get my full license.
The only other issue is that the rego says non-turbo so if the cops pull me up and check the rego they will probably defect the car.
Is it difficult to get an engineers report so I can get the car probably registered, and if so how much?

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:14 pm

i dont really know about the costs involved in getting an engineering certificate as i have never looked into it,but i would certainly try to hang onto such a nice car so call some workshops and have a chat.
you can always buy a crapheap to drive for the next year if you can afford it.
good luck

James

Postby James » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:23 am

Post some pics of the swap?

Return to “General”