James' Civic Rebuild Thread + High Power ER Motor Theory

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am

I have been making various modifications to the code and trying them out on my car in the garage. So far I havn't managed to get my fuel multiplier code working, so that requires some furthur investigation.

However the fuel cut shift mod appears to work properly, so hopefully I can test it on Mikes T2 this afternoon or tomorrow sometime.

On a side note, I graduated yesterday so I am now officially a fully qualified Engineer 8)

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 am

Congratulations!

James

Postby James » Tue May 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Cheers Smithy :D

Good news is the fuel cut shift code seems to work great. It boosted very smoothly to around 16.5-17psi then hit fuel cut as normally happens at 15psi.

We did a compression test on Mikes car afterwards tho and we found out its very low in all 4 cyls, around 47psi in 123 and 42psi in 4 :? To be honest Im not sure how its running with those numbers. The engine has done 180k so the rings must be very worn. I should have checked this before testing a high boost mod really :oops: .

So before I make it available to everyone is someone else in NZ keen to test the chip on their T2 which is in good condition? It must have no other issues and the engine must be in good nick. They will get a discount on the chipping if they want to buy it after testing 8)

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Tue May 13, 2008 5:18 pm

bigelboe wrote:Cheers Smithy :D

Good news is the fuel cut shift code seems to work great. It boosted very smoothly to around 16.5-17psi then hit fuel cut as normally happens at 15psi.

We did a compression test on Mikes car afterwards tho and we found out its very low in all 4 cyls, around 47psi in 123 and 42psi in 4 :? To be honest Im not sure how its running with those numbers. The engine has done 180k so the rings must be very worn. I should have checked this before testing a high boost mod really :oops: .

So before I make it available to everyone is someone else in NZ keen to test the chip on their T2 which is in good condition? It must have no other issues and the engine must be in good nick. They will get a discount on the chipping if they want to buy it after testing 8)

Well done on graduating!

I would offer to test, but its my daily driver so ill wait for the finished product. :) unless no one else comes forward...

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue May 13, 2008 6:16 pm

bigelboe wrote:On a side note, I graduated yesterday so I am now officially a fully qualified Engineer 8)

my congrats also well done mate!

James

Postby James » Tue May 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Cheers guys :D

Ill keep that in mind Hyper, ideally it should be done by someone with a wideband o2 meter on so we can keep an eye on the mixtures. We have one here but no cities :P

TURBOCITYCITY
Forum Enthusiast

Postby TURBOCITYCITY » Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 am

I could offer up my spare t2 to the cause.. but I've thrashed the hell out of it I'm fairly sure its compression is pretty bad and it's got a leaking sump gasket... only good bit really is it's pretty stock configuration.. apart from bov of course :P

James

Postby James » Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Mnn could still be ok. You reocn it would handle another couple of psi boost OK in its current state?

TURBOCITYCITY
Forum Enthusiast

Postby TURBOCITYCITY » Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 am

yeah should be okay.. it's only boosting at 9psi at the moment though.. boost leak or something. oh and it has a turbosmart fcd plumped into map sensor.. was originally gonna wind the boost up a bit

James

Postby James » Fri May 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Sweet, if you can get it boosting normally, and remove the pneumatic boost cut defender then I would be keen.

I am going to try and write a rev limiter into the code tonight, possibly with a launch button that drops it to like 3000rpm :D

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Fri May 16, 2008 4:09 pm

Just wondering you mentioned workin gin a launch control right, can you then work in like a auto waterspray squirter control thingy.

Does it have the capacity/ability to carry two programs, ie, economy and high boost such as your ultimate goal, something you could changable with a switch !?.

James

Postby James » Fri May 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Smithy wrote:Just wondering you mentioned workin gin a launch control right, can you then work in like a auto waterspray squirter control thingy.

Yup sure could, would have to sacrifice an output tho, so you could control the water spray instead of one of the solenoids. Otherwise you would have to tag it onto one of the chips in the case and add extra hardware, would be do-able but not fun.

Smithy wrote:Does it have the capacity/ability to carry two programs, ie, economy and high boost such as your ultimate goal, something you could changable with a switch !?.

Yes that would be pretty easy to do, but with a well tuned car not really necessary as the mixtures and things just get richer and more powerful when you hit full throttle.
I hope to have a boost adjustment knob so that would suffice if you just cant help keeping your right foot out of it :P

James

Postby James » Sat May 24, 2008 7:13 am

Just an update for everyone. I have halted development of the ECU for now, in order to finish the bodywork on my car. I figured there isn't much point working on the code when the only way I can test it is to sit their revving it in my garage :oops:

Car is currently COMPLETELY stripped, nothing left inside, in order for me to get it ready for painting (again).

Engine is also coming out, will be partially dissasembled and re-assebled in order to seal everything up because it has a few niggly oil leaks.

I have also pulled every single bit of wiring out of the car and I am going to build it a complete new custom loom from a city turbo one. With getting it out of sight being a main objective. The wiring for the headlights and things will be routed through the guards so they arent in the engine bay, washer and overflow bottles will be hidden, relays and fuses and everything removed from the engine bay. Also going to hide all the vacuum stuff but Im not sure where/how yet. Basically I am trying to go for a show quality finish.

spangleking
Forum Enthusiast

Postby spangleking » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:29 pm

bigelboe wrote:I have been making various modifications to the code and trying them out on my car in the garage. So far I havn't managed to get my fuel multiplier code working, so that requires some furthur investigation.

However the fuel cut shift mod appears to work properly, so hopefully I can test it on Mikes T2 this afternoon or tomorrow sometime.

On a side note, I graduated yesterday so I am now officially a fully qualified Engineer 8)

>>>>>>>

Congatulations on your graduation

>>>>>>>

James

Postby James » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:41 pm

^^^ Cheers S.K :D

In 200HP build news, I just lifted the engine and gearbox out of my car :), by myself :( I seperated them tho so it wasn't to bad, usually if you can take the head off its fine but I didnt want to this time so the long block was quite heavy.

On other news I am modeling my engine bay in solidworks in order to facilitate CAD design of my exhaust and intake manfiolds. I have a really nifty idea for my intake manifold. I am going to incorporate a water to air intercooler in the plenum in order to get the intake charge as dense as possible and also to keep the piping from the turbo to the intake extremely short (~20cm). I figure with my aim of making big power with extremely small valves I need to keep the charge as dense as possible, so I may run a 50/50 water methanol injection post intercooler but I'm not sure yet.

I have also decided I am going to put the turbo in about the same place as boostboy had his on his old T1, and I tihnk robg had in his T2, sitting up beside the cam pulley between the intake manifold and the strut tower. This keeps it visible and cool but still vert short exhaust runners.

I have read a bit of theory on building turbo manifolds over teh last few weeks and it turns out there are two distinct styles of manifold. A pulse type manifold, typically short and with small runner diameter. And a pressure manifold, generally long and with bigger runners. The pressure manifolds can generate higher peak powers as theyare less restrictive but they do this at the penalty of increased lag. So for my application where I want to get it on boost as early as possible, to make it drivable I will use pipes that have a diameter very close to the exhaust ports on the head and keep them as short as I can. I may also try some pulse splitting / anti reversion stuff but I need to do some more reading for that. Also trying to decide whether I want to run an internal or external wastegate. Colza has the one that we used ages ago in our T03 turbo swap spare as he is upgrading to a turbosmart one for his integra. I tihnk higher volumetrix efficiency is probably possible with an external over an internal as flow can be much less restrictive.

Return to “General”