My T1 Build Starts Here

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 pm

Nice looking split pipe.

Thats the front of my exhaust which goes onto a 2.5" downpipe spread across wastegate and exhaust, ive found that to work well, altho with modded turbo it doesnt like to stay low in the boost, im only using a cheap (read nasty) bleed valve and it has large trouble keeping the boost under cutout sadly..
With factory wastegate it works pretty well i think (i couldnt leave it factory tho!)

Anyway, looking good :)

Cheers
Last edited by QikLude on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 pm

Thats a nice piece of exhaust work there Qiklude :D

Man i cant wait to get over this shitty panel work and get onto some proper fabrication 8)
Last edited by Colza on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:54 pm

Colza wrote:Thats a nice piece of exhaust work there Qiklude :D

It looked awefully pretty all finished!

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Found a picture showing dumper...

And dont worry, eventualy the repair work ends?! (well at least i think it does!) :roll:

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Im happy with the dump pipe hope it can control boost well, if i had to split it again with an internal i think i would do it differently but will see how it goes,

does look like an allright setup you have qiklude try using an electronic boost controller, with a bit of luck i should have one real soon for when the car is back on the road.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:17 pm

3GCVC wrote:Im happy with the dump pipe hope it can control boost well, if i had to split it again with an internal i think i would do it differently but will see how it goes,

does look like an allright setup you have qiklude try using an electronic boost controller, with a bit of luck i should have one real soon for when the car is back on the road.

Yes, electronic the way to go for sure!
Always found electronic control WAY better.

Good luck with finishing :)

Cheers

Dxs
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Dxs » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:22 pm

the jaycar boost controller has a good rep here..
but anyway

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Got bids on a HKS spec unit thought it may go nicely with the rest of the parts lol,

Found my speaker mounts for the doors no longer require those.

Interior is all done for now bar a couple of finishing touches, Dump pipe flange should be getting surfaced this week ready to go back together.

Feds

Postby Feds » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:27 am

Why not solve the boost control problems with an external gate? All this fabrication yet still using bleed valves? Build looks great by the way! Hoping to get my T1 on the road soon :twisted:

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:46 pm

If you go back a couple of pages there are pics of the HKS external gate i plan on using when i have time to build a new manifold,

Will still require a boost controller just won the bid on a HKS unit from japan quite cheap so that will be going in on the stock WG actuator as soon as i get it.

so long as you use a ball and spring style manual boost controller they are quite good anything else is shit and cant control it properly.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:22 pm

3GCVC wrote:If you go back a couple of pages there are pics of the HKS external gate i plan on using when i have time to build a new manifold,

Will still require a boost controller just won the bid on a HKS unit from japan quite cheap so that will be going in on the stock WG actuator as soon as i get it.

so long as you use a ball and spring style manual boost controller they are quite good anything else is shit and cant control it properly.

There is a big difference between electronic and any bleed style control system.
Ive worked on many race vehicles with electronic boost control and trust me, it leaves the bleeders WAY behind.
I would only go to and external gate if really required, otherwise its just more hasstle.

Cheers

Jw

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 pm

well the above is quite obvious as it is simply the best boost control to be had, and im led to believe a electronic boost controller will control a external gate better than an internal actuator as it can control both sides of the diaphram.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:38 pm

3GCVC wrote:well the above is quite obvious as it is simply the best boost control to be had, and im led to believe a electronic boost controller will control a external gate better than an internal actuator as it can control both sides of the diaphram.

Biggest thing to watch for with external wastegates is you need to use a good solinoid with exlectronic control, small ones such as a ND unit from a subaru or something are fine for internal gates but tend to fail very rapidly (or not work at all) with externals.

HKS units come with there own ones otherwise industrial 3 port solinoids can be picked up for $50ish.

Cheers

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:01 pm

Will keep that in mind ^

No more progress to report still waiting on the dump pipe flange to be surfaced.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:42 am

Flange has been surfaced,

Wide band o2 sensor bung has been added after the turbo and i decided i may as well put the EGT probe there too and just keep in mind it will run a bit colder in that location.

I think im going to have to take the engine out again to get it all back together.

I made that O2 sensor bung with an old stuffed sensor knocked the guts out of it and welded the hole up should suffice until i can get a proper wide band sensor and gauge.
So im all good to get this thing running once i get the engine crane back here.

Return to “General”