long story about my brake. still need help.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
thomastsui
Forum Participant

long story about my brake. still need help.

Postby thomastsui » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:58 pm

where can i find someone that i can trust?

my brake wasn't 'good' since the first day i have own my city.
it stops my car, but the pedal is low and handbrake is very high.

Nov, 2006
as soon as i got my car, i went to Jaxquickfit to have a service, i told the guy that i want to know every issue of my car and get it fix, especially my brake. however, all he has found faulty is my wheelbearing. and i think he has adjusted my brake a LITTLE BIT, but i've already get used to it, i think.

early 2007
as the handbrake doesnt hold very well, and i find it very annoying, i thought i went to a 'better' place to fix the problem, this time, i go to ABS Mt Ommany, and i asked them to help me out, they did a quick analysis, and i have been told that my drum had gone, which cost me ~$400 to fix it, i paid the work and hoping the problem would be solve.

i think they adjusted my brake, so that i have a good time for around one week.

a week after i got my car back from ABS
i got my car serviced in K-mart auto Mt Ommany, been told that my brake proportion valve is leaking, and one of my wheel stud broken (and i still believe the guy in ABS break it)

but the guy from K-mart said they can't really help my problem and suggest me to go back to ABS

Again, i go to ABS to ask about the stud and quote for brake proportion valve, the lady in the reception said they are so busy that they cannot look at my car anytime soon, and they dont think they can have the brake proportion valve fixed for me, she suggested me to ask honda for parts....

then, i got my self a set of alloy wheel, and i go to ABS again a ask if they can help me to put them on and fix my stud, the lady told me that they don't do rims, and she is not sure they are responsible for my stud...

she suggested i can simply go next door to the Bobjane to fit my new rims...
and i did

-------------------------------------------------------

when i was looking for a brake proportion valve, i ordered a set of timming belt kit from repco, interesting , repco indooroopilly said they dont have it, but i end up getting it from repco sumner park.

after searching/reading posts here, i think HondaCare could be a good place to try.

as my city got overheat almost the same day i got my timming kit.
i went to hondacare to get everything fixed.

thanks scolt from HondaCare, they had fixed my car in quite a good price. i think. however, as soon as i got back my city, my car running very rough and hesitated. it needs to be on 1st or 2nd gear on easy slop, and never go over 80km/h on high way.

of course i took it back to HondaCare to ask about it.(I did research on ignition timming and idle rev setting) Scolt was so friendly , and gave me 'FREE ADVICE', he said, it is nothing to do with those things, it's ALL about my leaking brake booster. errr.......

and he cannot do that for me cause they don't do brake....

--------------------------------------------------------

i didnt believe in Scolt, but i dont know where to go, one day, when i visit my girlfriend's parents, her neighbour came out and said 'i can hear sth wrong with ya car, mate' thanks god.

the old man opened my bonnet in the very next day morning, and i can see he fixed my jammed choke, my engine runs much much better immediately.

and he also found my spark plug cable are ALL wrongly arranged (that's weired....) finally, he did adjust my ignition timming and idle setting, (now, i believe in google more than mechanics). My car runs as smooth as the first day i have got my car

he also said, my brake booster needs to be replace/reconditioned, but he cannot do that for me.

--------------------------------------------------------

late 2007. i lost my license

mid 2008, i got my license back

recent

my brake booster is so shit that i can hear air sucking in/leaking out everytime i press the brake pedal, and my pedal is getting sooo hard but min brake power

i went to ABS Woollongabba last week, got my spare booster reconditioned and fitted. (they said the only problem i had, is a leaky brake booster)

as soon as i got my car, i find that my brake is SO LIGHT, and SO LOW, handbrake SOO HIGH (but no more air sucking/leaking noise, i kinda miss that noise, it's like the turbo BoV.....)
i go back to ABS and ask about it, the guy said it's because the brake line is flexible, and it's alrite as long as it stops frimly.

ok, i trusted him, but after couple days of driving, i find that my handbrake doesnt hold very well, worse than before. in fact, it doesnt hold at all when i am stopping on a reasonable steep slop.

it's very annoying when i am having a traffic jam on a sloppy road.

i went back to ABS this morning, and asked about if they can adjust my handbrake or ANYTHING they can do for me.... the guy there said, i will need to replace the whole brake line and the drum to gain back a little leverage

but he also pointed out that my drum is alrite and is not worn at all.

Chaos........

---------------------------------------------------------

thanks for reading my story, here is my questions

my handbrake cable had replaced 6 months ago.
my drum and cylinder is like 18 month old
my brake booster has just reconditioned

what else i can do to get my brake work properly?

second question, engine oil is leaking from my oil cap, i couldnt find a replacement, anyone has ideas? (i've try repco)

third question, i used sillicon sealant to seal the oil cap for now, and replaced the valve cover gasket, the only spot which is still leak a bit is the head gasket i think (gap between head and block?)

but my car doesnt drink any fluid and doesnt smoke at all.
no bubble in radiator

can i just leave it like this?

thanks alot for the help

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 am

The rear brake drums have problems where the automatiac adjustors don't properly adjust, this will cause a soft peddle and high handbrake.

Its a matter of taking off the drum tweaking the adjustors and it normally fixes any problems i have with them.

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:46 am

hey, can really recommend a course of action here, but I 'had brake pads done by ABS woollongabba and seemed a fair job, but wasnt any pre-existing dramas. part of the course with imports , especially older ones, is lack of exposure of them to any mechanics/service providers.

the same ABS replaced a clutch in my RVR, costing me about $2000 as they then claimed to have service a leaky master clutch cylinder after my complaints and request for them to investigate the pedal randomly not returniing etc. this rebiuld failed and i then took it to the ABS in capalaba, Milan there is a great bloke and i still use him today as he has helped out non stop, alwasy sadjusting the RVRs problem clutch etc, and rebiulding at no further cost to me the master clutch cylinder. :)
it was never fixed completly after 4 rebould in several months. I beleive a bent fork in the clutch bellhousing as the culprit , anyway after a timiung belt snapped a sold on the RVR for a reliable Corolla :)

I believe only way to get this sorted is for someone from this site to go over brakes with you or your neighbour as you mentioned to help.

------------SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING, i'M AT WORK AND ATTEMPTING TO BE UNDISCOVERED :wink:

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Smithy wrote:------------SORRY ABOUT MY SPELLING, i'M AT WORK AND ATTEMPTING TO BE UNDISCOVERED :wink:

HAHHA

Anyway thomatsui, I have some advice I just have to find some spare time to give it, so hold on :D

thomastsui
Forum Participant

Postby thomastsui » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:34 pm

thanks all your help

after google a bit about low pedal and high handbrake
and your suggestion, i asked the guy in ABS to fix my brake

i gave them a call and said ' i found that there is somethin called autoadjustor in my drum and would you please adjust it and make sure my brake shoe works propely?'

the guy from abs said they never touch my drum and low pedal is because my car is old. (he said, 'you cant compare cars to new car or even another city')
but he finally agree to give an inspection for my car and see what they can do

after the inspection, the friendly staffs from ABS said, it's nothing wrong with my brake, and it stops firmly from the beginning, but he also said they found there is 5mm spacing that they can adjust, and they did it for me for free.

thanks god. i've got my brake back!

maybe he was right that my brake was alrite.
but i mean, i FEEL more secure to have more leverage on my pedal and my handbrake. its a state of mind and sense of security.

thomastsui
Forum Participant

Postby thomastsui » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:56 pm

dun wanna open new post
borrow this space to show off my new front bar

you may think it looks gay, haha, T2 bumper on pro-t
i will paint it later. dun have time atm

Return to “General”