Cold start issue (rebuilt motor)

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
QikLude
Forum Addict

Cold start issue (rebuilt motor)

Postby QikLude » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:47 am

Hey all

Got an issue im not 100% sure whats causing it as yet;

Ive got a new rebuilt motor in my city t1 here its having cold start issues though, the timing might not 100% perfect but not too bad.

with some start spray etc it will eventualy get going and once warm will go fine and start with one turn.

Vac advance is naffed, I need to block the hoses to stop it causing a vacume leak correct?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:37 am

Timing and vac advance...

You need to sort out any potential issues first.

Timing has a big impact you get it wrong and the cars will not start.

Also check your main Relay is working correctly, but the motor wont turn over if thats not working.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:27 pm

HyperBlade wrote:Timing and vac advance...

Also check your main Relay is working correctly, but the motor wont turn over if thats not working.

yeh im having trouble trying to time it as the flywheel marks look a bit sad as there were mostly shaved off when lightening the flywheel.
Seems to be correct by the marks i have there.

Relay is fine, i think i might have to get the vac advance fixed though, got two here and both are stuffed..

just seems a little weird its hot start is fine and cold start is so hard.
seems to run alright on the road, has some hesitation when coming off the throttle for some reason.
The boost tap wound right down now so only pulling 5psi, cant wait to wind it up!

Cheers

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Justin

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 am

QikLude wrote:
HyperBlade wrote:Timing and vac advance...

yeh im having trouble trying to time it as the flywheel marks look a bit sad as there were mostly shaved off when lightening the flywheel.
Seems to be correct by the marks i have there.

Relay is fine, i think i might have to get the vac advance fixed though, got two here and both are stuffed..

just seems a little weird its hot start is fine and cold start is so hard.
seems to run alright on the road, has some hesitation when coming off the throttle for some reason.
The boost tap wound right down now so only pulling 5psi, cant wait to wind it up!

Cheers

PS HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Justin

The other thing is because your motor has been sitting for so long you might want to pull apart the cold idle bit of the throttle control (cant remember the excat name), its up the back right of the intake. Has a whole lot of wax in it, and some water pipes going into it.

there was a post around on one of the japanese sites on how to pull it apart and bring it up to scratch, i think it was covered here too.

James

Postby James » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 am

The city manual has a few bits on cold start problems, Air temp sensor is one culprit, faulty autochoke is another as Hyper suggests, also the coolant temp sensor can be at fault. There are little tests to check all the sensors too.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:01 pm

redid all timing again, it was the culprit, 2 teeth on the cam/crank and it took more than the factory setting on the dizzy to get it going., could be to do with the fact ive raised the compression for some some reason.

anyway, got it starting from dead cold with a couple of cranks and no pedal pushing..
boosts fine and has lots of power now :D

will finish some minor things and get it road legal so i can test it a bit more and make sure the idle control etc is all ok.

Cheers for the suggestions all fellas!

Jw

James

Postby James » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Good to hear.

If you have planed the head that retards your cam and ignition timing, generally both bad for power. I will be doing some adjustable cam pulleys at some stage soon hopefully that will fix this.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:19 pm

bigelboe wrote:Good to hear.

If you have planed the head that retards your cam and ignition timing, generally both bad for power. I will be doing some adjustable cam pulleys at some stage soon hopefully that will fix this.

yip sounds about right, have wound the dizzy two teeth forward which has done the trick anyway by the looks of it.
Cheers

Jw

Return to “General”