Water in foot well

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
thshty

Water in foot well

Postby thshty » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Hey guys,

Today I noticed about 10cm of water in my drivers foot well.
I looked for the source of water but there was none. So I peeled back the carpet and opened the two rubber plugs to let the water out. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:53 pm

it will be coming down from a bad windscreen seal or a rust hole behind the dash mt t2 was doing it but only a little bit never got a pool of water like you have.
matt

thshty

Postby thshty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:17 pm

ok sweet as.
Thanks

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Its more likely to be coming from your sill.

You might have heard water sloshing around in it too, then when it gets to high it gets into the footwells.

The solution is to get a bit of wire and clean out the drain holes for the sill, there should be 3 each side, you will notice where the metal is compressed together there is 3 places it seems to go around something, these are the drains, just clean them out and it wont fill your footwell.

Dirt etc just builds up over time and blocks them.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:32 am

That interesting Hyper Ill remember that one. My old blue city had it from the rust hole in the firewall/strut tower area.

thshty

Help

Postby thshty » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Sorry to sound stupid but I cant seem to find these drain holes. Ive taken off the black cover that holds the window squirters but cant see and holes.
Please give more detail or pictures,
Thanks!

Please help because every time it rains my footwell fills up and it smells gross.

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:49 am

Does it have a sunroof?

Usually the water will come in cause the drain tubes for the sunroof are blocked and water flows straight over the edge of the pan.

You possibly have rust holes in your firewall area and water is getting in there.

The sills run along the car underneath the doors check at the seam there should be some openings where water can escape you may need to unblock them, Since the water from the sunroof drain tubes dump straight into the sills if the sill drain holes are blocked the water can move out into the cabin area also.

Mike_NZ
Donating Member

Postby Mike_NZ » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:35 am

The drain holes Hyper was talking about are in the sill running along underneath your car. There is a cavitty in the body just under the doors, and if the drain holes block up then the water level can rise sufficiently that it comes into the foot well.

I had a look at my sills over the weekend and they have had so many repair patches over the years that there is only one drain hole left between the two of them!

It's quite easy for significant amounts of rust to build up beneath the corners of the windscreen and behind the front guards without any obvious external signs, you may find that water is getting in through there.

thshty

Postby thshty » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Ok thanks heaps guys, I was looking in the wrong place.
Will get stuck into it tomorrow after my exam.

DODO
Donating Member

Postby DODO » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:40 pm

underneath the car?? :? I cant seem to find them either..

shouldnt you need to resill the windscreen first and prevent the water coming in at all? rather than draining it?

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Antenna drain can cause this too (mines doing this at the moment) check the plastic tube is coming down the dront pillar and going through the floor ok (not sure where)

Cheers

DODO
Donating Member

Postby DODO » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:00 pm

water also might come in from the rust hole where your windscreen wiper is attached on to, then thu the wall (inbetween the dash and fire wall) then into the interior. seems to be a common water leak problem with citys.. Id start by removing the windscreen wiper, then long black plastic cover thingy and finding out where the rusts are.. :wink:

Return to “General”