dash light

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Nick

dash light

Postby Nick » Thu May 01, 2003 12:48 am

Hi! This is a great site ,its good to see that i'm not the only person out there that thinks the old Honda City is a cool car ;D

I've had two citys one T1 and my current one a T2  which has been off the road for about 6 months . Two lights on the dash came up at the same time. The charge light and another one on the top right of the dash which looks like a muffler with some japanese symbols after it. I think the alternater is stuffed which explains th CHG light but what is the other one and is it related. Does anyone              know ???                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

blitz_power

Re: dash light

Postby blitz_power » Thu May 01, 2003 3:42 am

I think i should be able to give u some idea

when my belt(where the only belt we can see on the pasenger side) broken, both the lights came up as well. I think is the alternator problem. Maybe some other members can help or you can try to change a new alternator and see how it goes.

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Fri May 02, 2003 7:21 am

Hi Nick

Sounds like the light for the catalytic convertor, depending on where you are the best thing to do is rip out the cat convertor and throw it away.

Cheers Tony  ;D

Nick

Postby Nick » Sun May 04, 2003 10:49 pm

Thanks for that Tony it seems the most obvious answer when you look at the picture. But I puched out the centre of the cat about ayear before the light came on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Nick                  

murray_is_

Postby murray_is_ » Mon May 05, 2003 8:52 am

hey all

i didnt think the city had a cat converter in it?? my honda city no-turbo 84" model i'm pretty sure doesnt cause its leaded

regards

Murray

MUnity
Forum Regular

Postby MUnity » Mon May 05, 2003 2:51 pm

Australian delivered NA models did not get cats because they were not required to run ULP until 1986. Ex-Japan cars all had cats (though most probably don't anymore :D ).

campbell
Forum Enthusiast

Postby campbell » Mon May 26, 2003 8:19 pm

Just to make you feel better.  The lights that you have on are the charge and catalytic convertor overheat.  These come on, and maybe with the brake warning light, if you lose charge from the alternator.

There is a Nippon-Denso from a Toyota Low-Lux (it is after you've pinched the alternator) which fits straight in.  Need to change the pulley and use a loom adapter and you're charging again.  Or go looking at your wreckers.

As the autosparky pointed out to me in Gunnedah, if you put an alternator so low down the front it'll pick up a lot of road grit and this grinds away the slip rings.  I could've put in new brushes and got another 10k km, but the new alternator was a better choice.  (about $300 to install the new one.)(And I'm right for another 200k km.

Only takes a couple of hours to swap over.  Damn difficult to get the device out through the hole in the grill.

Regards,
Campbell

PS we reckon that you can run the car for about 4 hours from a fully charged battery.

Return to “General”