How Do I Set My Cam and/or Ignition Timing?

Every bit of information we have about the Honda City compiled by our members!
Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:32 am

Cam timing:

1) Set engine to TDC for cylinder #1 by aligning the mark on the flywheel with the two bumps on the side of the viewing window (all three should be inline). The front mark on the cam pulley should be pointing approximately forward (see (2))

* The engine is turned over by turning the steering wheel hard left, then putting at 17mm socket through the hole near the bottom of the passenger side wheel arch. Then engine normally turns in an anticlockwise direction as do the dizzy and the cam pully.

2) Remove cambelt (marking direction of rotation on belt if the same belt is to be reused) and rotate pully until the front mark lines up with the arrow on the head (arrow is just below horizontal at the front). To check that they line up perfectly hold a small screwdriver horizontally.

* On one of the large holes in the pulley, there is a little bit scooped out. The front mark is the one at the front when the scooped out bit is at the top.

3) Check that engine is still at TDC and replace cambelt.

4) With the engine still at TDC reset the belt tensioner by loosening the pivot and adjusting bolts (the two at about water pump level on the cover), rotate the crankshaft about a quarter turn anticlockwise to create tension, then tighten the adjusting bolt (the lower one of the two) and then the pivot bolt. Torque of 43 Nm for both.

Ignition timing:

1) Turn engine to 28deg advance. This is the other mark on the flywheel and may have two marks either side representing + or - 2 degrees. You can check that you have the right mark by looking at the cam pulley. When turning the engine over anticlockwise, the 28deg mark should appear BEFORE the TDC mark (where the mark on the pulley matches the mark on the head)

2) Put spark plug leads in correct order (a common problem if the cam timing has been set incorectly previously). This is done by reading the numbers printed on the block to see which cylinders are which (#1 is the cambelt end), then plugging #1 into the socket on the right infront of the cap hold-down clip. Counting round anticlockwise (the direction the dizzy rotates) the order goes 1, 3, 4, 2

3) Remove the cap, any interfearing vacuum hoses and engine plumbing (remembering where they all go back of course) and then undo the bolt and take out the distributor.

4) Line up the dimple on the dizzy gear (the dimple, not the bit where the locking pin goes through!) with the little arrow at the gear end of the shaft.

5) Reinsert the distributor so that the bolt hole is in the centre of the slot.  

* You can hold the top of the dizzy stationary so that it doesnt flop around as you insert it, but once you can feel it has started to engage let it go as it will spin around a bit as the helical gears engage properly.  

6) You should be able to start the car now (if not then something is wrong  ) and use a timing light to finish the job.

Good luck and Happy B :D :D STING

Fader
Admin

Re: How Do I Set My Cam and/or Ignition Timing?

Postby Fader » Wed May 05, 2004 8:47 am

This is a  reply to get something double checked... so maybe we have to change the original post..

When i was setting the timing, and got to the ignition timing, i was looking for the 28deg advance mark on the flywheel, but found it was actually 20, not 28 (I just had an eye test last week, so that counts that out!)

So being the only other mark besides the TDC, i set the ignition to that (it was still just before the TDC as described in the post). Any feed back on this would be great. Other than this query, the instructions were excellent, thanks colza!

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Wed May 05, 2004 3:26 pm

I believe there may be a difference between T1's and T2's. I would assume that being the only other mark on there that it is probably correct :). I dont think 8 degrees of cam timing is enough to make a car not start at all.

Henry
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Henry » Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:06 pm

The ignition timing on the T11 should be set at 20 deg BTDC. Fader you are correct.

James

Postby James » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:20 pm

Touche Henry, the city turbo manual strikes.

;D

Henry

Postby Henry » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:06 pm

Bigelboe,you are obviously looking at a T1 manual there. The T11 manual quotes 20deg. before TDC as does the sticker on the underside of the bonnet.

James

Postby James » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:23 pm

What accounts for the large discrepancy between the two models that have pretty much identical engines then? 8 degrees advance is a whole lot.

BOOSTBOY
Forum Addict

Postby BOOSTBOY » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:13 pm

I call manual misprint...

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:03 am

Sent in by Colza

---------------------------

I can confirm there is no misprint in the manual. I took a photo today of the timing mark I found on Fireslug's T1 and it quite clearly shows 28 degrees

---------------------------

However i can confirm a T2 timing mark is different to a T1, there is a orange spot on the flywheel instead of a number or mark.

Return to “The Honda City InfoBase”