idle hesitation & stalling

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
trustpower
Forum Regular

idle hesitation & stalling

Postby trustpower » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:30 pm

car = 85 Pro City NA ER1 1.2 carb 5 spd

Ive managed to set up my idle-up for the air-con on my carby, thats okay now.

But theres still some other things its doing now.

I get a bit of a flatspot, almost like the engine chokes for a brief second if you give it w.o.t from idle in nuetral... the revs drop and it almost stalls.

The other thing is when im driving and heel toeing so braking whilst tapping the throttle between gears, as you blip the throttle unless i really stomp on it or hold it a bit it wont rev up. On a number of occassions now also ive had the car stall on me when ive been heavy on the brake pedal and tried to bring the revs up for the lower gear im going into.

Now im pretty sure that the highest manifold vacuum occurs under braking, even more so than idling i think. So when i tap the throttle why would it stall?

Any ideas or help?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: idle hesitation & stalling

Postby James » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:03 am

Mine did that and it turned out to be the ignition coil, same thing if you have a bung coil lead too...

trustpower
Forum Regular

Postby trustpower » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:18 pm

If i have to get another ignition coil, ive rang around and tried some online catalogues and there doesnt seem to be any listing for the Honda City ER1 motor.

Does anyone know a part number for a suitable coil for a nonturbo City?

My bet is that there isnt a genuine part available either, seeings honda dont have even a distributor cap anymore...

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:17 pm

Just go for a bosch replacement coil, better quality and probably cheaper than OEM would be.

If it has a ballast resisitor get a gt40r or a gt40rt and if it doesnt get a gt40 or a gt40t

The t after the 40 means its a transformer coil, higher voltage or something, makes it easier to start.

Return to “General”