Bought another City

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 pm

The crank shaft alone wont increase the capacity of an engine. It can however decrease/increase the compression ratio.

I'll be going to the wreckers these summer holidays to take out either an EN or EL series engine. Ill do some measurements when I rebuilt it.

Ill let you know if anything is a direct swap.

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:55 pm

Wont a longer stroke increase capacity?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Oh dear.

Changing the crank shaft WILL increase the engine capacity. It will also change your compression ratio and put your pistons into the head if you dont change the rods and or pistons as well.

Swapping heads is not an option. Give up on the idea already. Swapping engine internals is also not an option.

If you want more power in a City, bolt on mods for small increases, engine swaps for big increases. Engine swaps are not all that difficult. They are a LOT easier than trying to build crazy hybrid engines :)

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:46 pm

Colza wrote:Oh dear.

Changing the crank shaft WILL increase the engine capacity. It will also change your compression ratio and put your pistons into the head if you dont change the rods and or pistons as well.

Swapping heads is not an option. Give up on the idea already. Swapping engine internals is also not an option.

If you want more power in a City, bolt on mods for small increases, engine swaps for big increases. Engine swaps are not all that difficult. They are a LOT easier than trying to build crazy hybrid engines :)

I agree with everything you said, I meant using a stroker crank with shorter rods. Stroker as in a crank from another model engine.
I can bolt on stuff no worries, and engine swaps, well i should know about them lol its what iv been doing for the last 3.5 years. But there are issues with legalities when swaping engines, it can be done but our authorities put you through a ringer, stroker crank means bigger capacity within the same bloke obviously but the authorities wont notice since its the same block. This is the basis of my questions.
My 3.5 year engine swap :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgBpxv0RB20

ClassicProT
Forum Regular

Postby ClassicProT » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Colza wrote:Oh dear.

Oh dear indeed, you are correct, the swept volume does change with a different crank shaft. That was stupid of me. :oops:

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:21 pm

I see you have some prior experience 8)

Crank swapping with the ER isnt really an option because they run a massively long stroke anyway. Stroking it further wont help you.

If you could do anything it would be bore the cylinders and run oversize pistons, but the wall thickness isnt huge on an ER block so I am not sure how far you could go.

If you get really desperate you could fill the water jacket with an alluminium epoxy, there are products made specifically for this, and then over bore to a size which you can get pistons for easily.

Honestly, its going to be an arse load of work for unknown gains and massive future reliability issues.

Can you turbo or supercharge the standard motor and increase your hp that way?

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Colza wrote:I see you have some prior experience 8)

Crank swapping with the ER isnt really an option because they run a massively long stroke anyway. Stroking it further wont help you.

If you could do anything it would be bore the cylinders and run oversize pistons, but the wall thickness isnt huge on an ER block so I am not sure how far you could go.

If you get really desperate you could fill the water jacket with an alluminium epoxy, there are products made specifically for this, and then over bore to a size which you can get pistons for easily.

Honestly, its going to be an arse load of work for unknown gains and massive future reliability issues.

Can you turbo or supercharge the standard motor and increase your hp that way?

Yes i can turbo but again authority issues.
Oh well, ill sit and think about it, i just wish there was a multi valve head for it.
Yes i remember reading its an under squared engine so yeah stroking it even further may make the rotating mass unreliable again. Boring would be better but as you said the cylinders can go so far.
In a word bugger.
Turbo looks the best option, or i should just get a turbo front cut.
Last edited by Bart on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:40 pm

I would vote Turbo front cut, or EL/EK engine if you want to keep it carby.

Remember to use a City Turbo motor you have to convert to fuel injection. There is info on this site about the NA->Turbo conversion.

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Colza wrote:I would vote Turbo front cut, or EL/EK engine if you want to keep it carby.

Remember to use a City Turbo motor you have to convert to fuel injection. There is info on this site about the NA->Turbo conversion.

I have a programable engine management computer which would come in handy.

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 pm

A fuel injection conversion of a carby engine would be a pretty big mission.

Running a City Turbo motor with aftermarket management is also a big mission, im not sure if anyone has really got it working properly before, though a few have had some success.

Have a read through this site, pretty much all of this has been discussed before, often at great length :)

Bart
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Bart » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 pm

Colza wrote:A fuel injection conversion of a carby engine would be a pretty big mission.

Running a City Turbo motor with aftermarket management is also a big mission, im not sure if anyone has really got it working properly before, though a few have had some success.

Have a read through this site, pretty much all of this has been discussed before, often at great length :)

Yep will do, i actually meant after market on an injected City turbo engine.
But yeah i will have a read thanks

Return to “General”