City turbo in Trading post

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
AnimaLector
Forum Enthusiast

City turbo in Trading post

Postby AnimaLector » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:40 pm

There's a honda City for sale in the trading post (QLD).. just checking to see if that was anyone here who owned it.  If so I could handle some more details..  

I have finally sold my RX7 and am now hot in the market for a honda city turbo II in the Brisbane  area and have cash waiting for the right car!

Andy

AnimaLector
Forum Enthusiast

Re: City turbo in Trading post

Postby AnimaLector » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:51 pm

I also went to have a look at a "Soft Top" turbo II.  It had TII flares, bonnet, etc, but had a TI engine, no intercooler, plus the turbo was shagged I reackon.  it had no power until about 4000 - 4500 rpm, there was myself and the lady owner and my mate (I'm about 95kg, they are about 45, and 60) so not overloading the car at all..
Anyways she wanted $4950 in the paper but that'd prolly drop in price.  overall though it looked kinda nice, no rust, good body!!

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo3 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:32 pm

Yo,
Are you sure it was turbo'd not just a naturally aspirated cabriolet?
If it was a T1 motor, it's probably been "pussy'd" around so much the turbo has forgotten how to boost!! ??? :-/ Took one for a blat a while ago, owned by cautious female driver. It felt like the turbo bearings had just about ceased as it took ages to come up on boost, then died as soon as you lifted off the gas.
That sounds a pretty high price too. You can expect to replace or reuild that turbo, which starts making it an expensive T2/Cabriolet!
Pete 8)

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:02 pm

Hi All,

A Cabriolet is worth more than the City Turbo and Turbo II. Simply it's year date, being from 86 to 88 makes it worth more than an 82 or 84. Plus it's frigin Convertible!

Basically you'd be buying a car that's like a VW Gulf Convertible, but smaller and $15,000 cheaper. The soft-top shouldn't leak (unless rain on 60 degree angle or car parked on slant), the rear has Glass (not perspex or plastic that goes white and you can't see through it) and looks sik when bumpers and side mirrors are colour coated.

The T2 has flaires, the Cabriolet was built from a T2. But the bonnet humps/bumps weren't from a Cab. It seemes that when they imported some of these things, they put some T2 and T1 body kits on. Mine has the T1 bonnet with T2 grill and bumpers. I've heard of 2 in Cairns with T2 bonnets and bumpers. It makes the Cab look soo much better ;-)

My advice, if you've got a garage...go the Cabriolet.
If you don't have a garage...go the T2.

Cheers,
Luke.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:06 pm

oh, you can tell if it's turbo...lift the bonnet and you see a big air filter that sits on the carby? :-[

Cabriolet's arn't turbo (but they look turbo from the body stylings), they arn't even fuel injected!!! But some have been modified. Like what i'm doing.

cantik

Postby cantik » Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:19 pm

Hi!
I just joined the forum and is interested in getting a City Cabriolet. I have enquired with RaceCraft for an upgrade and was quoted $3500 for a perfect condition city turbo motor and all wiring etc.

Does any one have an idea how much it would cost to upgrade to fuel injection(and how it can be done)? What about normal overhaul cost for the engine and gearbox for the original standard carbie engine.

BTW, would $3,500 be too expensive to buy for a Cabriolet  that requires work on the engine? The owner says it is lacking power and have problems going uphill.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:41 am

Hi Wayne

I have a Cabriolet with a T1 engine, check it out in the members rides section.  Anyway I'm not sure on the pricing over there in Oz.

Dropping the T1 engine in is not a hard job but there are a few things to watch out for (fuel tank, wiring loom, dash stuff, radiator).  This would give you the Turbo/Injection you want.

Costs, depends on whether you're going to do this yourself or get it done.  I choose getting it done and it ended up costing somewhere around $3500 (but that included buying a T1 donor car and fixing the blown head gasket it came with and getting the top end rebuilt).

Costs on rebuilding a NA engine, pass, probably not too bad but I wouldn't bother, they are a lot more fun with the T1 (or T2) engine in there.

Cheers

Tony  ;)

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:09 pm

I have a T2 engine for sale if you can find a body for it :) (see the other board)

Turbo2
Forum Enthusiast

Postby Turbo2 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:16 pm

Hey, How much are you thinking of selling that T2 engine
$$$

Also looking for another Turbo ??

Cheers Turbo 2

Spartica

Postby Spartica » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:43 pm

Well as you all know the T! doesn't have an intercooler(major thumbs down).
Sounds like the lady was using it as a liteel run-a-rounder and not giving it the attention it deserves(even more major thumbs down). The pipe that leads from the turbo down the back of the engine might of had a crack in it so it's always a godo thing to check that and as for price.. that's a hell of alot! I think it's abit over priced seeing as I got my T2 for $800 and I've seen cabriolet's for sale alot less than that here(NZ) and even if it's converted into AU$ it's still cheaper.

Return to “General”