Get Rid of Emmissions Tubing + Box?

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Get Rid of Emmissions Tubing + Box?

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Hey

Is it at all possible to rip out the entire Emmissions Box + Tubing And have the engine still run afterwards?

It would be extremely nice to do this and get rid of all that clutter. Not sure about the cosquences though.

Cheers
Ben

Colza
Forum Addict

Re: Get Rid of Emmissions Tubing + Box?

Postby Colza » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:28 pm

Which bit in particular do you mean by the "Emissions box"? The big black thing with all the vacuum hoses?

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:40 pm

Thats the one plus all the hoses attached to it

Ben

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:48 pm

In a T1, there is a little bit of emisions stuff mixed up in that, but in a T2 there is none. Almost 100% of the function of that box is running your engine. I think you find that removing it would be most detrimental to the overall running of your car ie. it wouldnt!

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:59 pm

Damn
Thanks for that.
Same result if i remove all the tubing I guess?

Ben

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:14 pm

Pretty much, yeah. You can lose aircon and associated tubing, but that is gone from most City Turbos anyway.

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:35 pm

Ok thanks for that

Ben

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:59 pm

Ben

I think you can differentiate the essential and non essential in the magic box.

In there you have MAP sensors * 2, absolutely essential to the running of the engine. Then there is an idle up relay, that again you do need. There is also an electrical gizmo, which adjusts mixture.

After that, much of it can be consigned to the bin, BUT only if the hoses are religously plugged.

The other item you need to leave working is the throttle shut down valve - slows the throttle from shutting too quiclky.

I do have a "strip down" diagram if you need further guidance.

Caveat: If you don't understand what the hell I'm talking about, don't touch it. Play with the trim or something!

Seriously, gutting this box for a small amount of weight may be more risky than the rturn for loosing half a kilo will make - a diet for the driver or passenger would make more impact!

And without a T2 at hand to look at, I can't tell you what else is in there - though a box I was sent did have a heap of EGR crap in iit that does little for the engine.

John

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:08 pm

Hey thanks for that John

Im not doing it for the weight, its to get rid of all the hoses around the engine, to make it easy to work on, most of them are not too important anyway it just a few that are.

Could you please send the diagram to [email protected]
it would be greatly apreciated.

(If only these great wee cars were made in NZ then we wouldnt have all this emisssion stuff  :P)

Thanks for the Info
Ben

JohnT
Donating Member

Postby JohnT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:46 pm

Ben

I should get to a scanner later in the weekend, will try to do it then. My wife is currently using that computer so it will be tomorrow I expect (Anzac Day public holiday..)
John

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:47 pm

I wouldnt mind copy of that either if possible?

Cheers

Jw

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:47 am

John

Thanks for that,

Theres no rush ,the engine is acutally in lots of little parts at the moment :P.

What about putting it in the Info base?

Also something else that needs to be in the info base is what type of oil is recommended for the engine, and how much oil, and what type is needed for the gearbox.

Cheers
Ben

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm

The T2 box has no emissions stuff, that has been replaced by a boost control thing which i dont understand. There is only one removable thing from the T2 box that I am aware of and it is something to do with aircon i think...

Overall i would say that it is not worth the risk of faggin it up by playing with it. What you CAN do is take it out of that big ugly black box and put it somewhere nicer. Not sure about a city, but in my civic it has been relocated to the space along with the wiper motor (just under the windscreen. 2 new holes in the upper firewall, 1 with a million vacuum hose going in, and one with a few wires ;D

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks for that Colza

There has to be emissions stuff in the box as all japanese cars have to have it dont they?

If they were made in NZ then they wouldn't have all that stuff so it must be possible to take some of it out.

Ben

hoovermatic

Postby hoovermatic » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:45 am

just a point of interest, non turbo related tho. I had an import crx a few years ago with an ugly black box in it. All I did was use the carby and manifold from a nz new motor, bolted it up and away it went with a much tidier engine bay. One thing I had to do was block up an extra hole on the head with sellys kneed it. The motor was a 1300, the carb and manifold was from a 1500. Afterwards I had a little bit more power and didn't seem to use any extra fuel. If anyone wants to try this, its at your own risk, as I did no research and basicly slapped it together one morning. The fact that it went first go without any dramas probibly had more to do with luck than anything else.

Afterwards I took the black box apart and discoverd it was full of little hamsters running on tread mills. ;)

Return to “General”