Something everyone here should buy.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Something everyone here should buy.

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:38 am

A steering lock.

$50 well worth it.

Reason: My car was broken into last night, nothing taken as i never leave anything valuable in it, stereo is standard Honda affair (I.e tapedeck) so they didn't want that, the only thing stopping them from taking it for a joyride was the fact i always put a steering lock on.

Well worth the money and i suggest everyone should have one. Don't skimp on it either this is where quality counts.

turbocab
Donating Member

Re: Something everyone here should buy.

Postby turbocab » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:44 am

HyperBlade wrote: Don't skimp on it either this is where quality counts.

yeah get the ones that are made from square section not round tube.
my girlfriend lost the key for her cheap round one so i got a piece of tube over the end of it and snapped it clean in half in about ten seconds.you can get good locks that clamp the pedals in place these are also a good idea.
nothing beats a huge snake though!
matt

Hyperblade

Re: Something everyone here should buy.

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:18 pm

turbocab wrote:
HyperBlade wrote: Don't skimp on it either this is where quality counts.

yeah get the ones that are made from square section not round tube.
my girlfriend lost the key for her cheap round one so i got a piece of tube over the end of it and snapped it clean in half in about ten seconds.you can get good locks that clamp the pedals in place these are also a good idea.
nothing beats a huge snake though!
matt

Lol, yeah defiantly go for the square tube, it wont stop someone who is determined on stealing your car (i.e has the right tools), but it will stop those who are casually passing and going for the opportunity theft.

James

Postby James » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:03 pm

I always thought those things were a waste of time 'cause in <10 seconds you can cut through the steering wheel and just take the lock off, remembering seeing someone do it on TV

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:20 pm

bigelboe wrote:I always thought those things were a waste of time 'cause in <10 seconds you can cut through the steering wheel and just take the lock off, remembering seeing someone do it on TV

Most people don't have a saw with them, and the steering wheels are steel i believe, so not that easy to do, if you were prepared you would just take the whole steering wheel off and replace it with a new one.

In this instance it stopped some young dickhead who was just passing by. If someone wants to steal your car they will do so.

I also have an alarm sitting there which i haven't got round to installing. And im going to make sure theres a kill switch fitted.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Hook up a switch to the fuel pump, they aint going anywhere with that having no power :D

Hyperblade

Postby Hyperblade » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:47 pm

city_cabriolet wrote:Hook up a switch to the fuel pump, they aint going anywhere with that having no power :D

Lol yes, would work perfectly.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:59 pm

bigelboe wrote:I always thought those things were a waste of time 'cause in <10 seconds you can cut through the steering wheel and just take the lock off, remembering seeing someone do it on TV

yeah, is never a good idea to rely upon a steering lock, it will stop the casual kid, but if someone wants to steal your car, they are as easy as flexing the wheel a bit.... they aren't all that strong, since they want them to give a bit in a crash when your head hits ;-)

I have an alarm in mine, which cuts out key on, fuel pump and power to main relay, so nothing works until it is turned off..... It's still not entirely safe, but it's more about discouraging idiots than stopping theives.....

Smithy
Forum Addict

Postby Smithy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:10 pm

on previous cars we just had the same, a switch to cut circuit going to the, whats it called, bugger. the thing that leads off to the startmotor and the distributor cap....

my brother mini, like old race cars has many switches, ie fuel pump etc.
..if not all in correct places as some have three setting nothing works!

Return to “General”