what size/guage sheet metal to buy

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
turbocab
Donating Member

what size/guage sheet metal to buy

Postby turbocab » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:49 pm

hi all
ime going to start my rebuild soon (i hope) and i am wanting to know what guage sheet metal to buy for my welded repairs.
thanks

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:29 pm

The last time I did anything like that we used a door skin from an old car door we had laying around. Just cut the pieces to suit.

Do you know any panel beaters who could score you a couple of old door skins or guards that you can cut up to suit the patches you need?

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:23 pm

or i could just go on a late night mission with a cordless drill and a pair of tinsnips :twisted:

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:29 am

just measure what the factory thickness is and go and buy some new steel, I dont recon bothering with old doors is worth it when steel is so cheap.

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 am

a little more help please people.
when i cut out and weld a new section of steel how should i treat it to stop it from rusting?i was thinking of just spraying it with primer from a pressure pack but could this cause issues down the track?with the other paint?
matt

rustyhornet
Forum Regular

Postby rustyhornet » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Hey Turbocab... I'm no expert but this might help get you started, after all alitte competition is healthy right? :lol:

I treated the rusty areas with this acid rust converter called Renex, you can get it from Bunnings cheap.
This stuff goes on with a rag from from the container. Then once dry, I sanded/wire wheel & drill before using grease & wax remover... followed by just spaying etch primer from a pressure pack for now.

You really need to make sure that you seal up the reverse side of the welded panels with fish oil or something.
Reason being, that whilst welding the sheet metal, the heat burns of the factory galv coating from around the rust repair... & If left untreated, in time moisture in the air will just cause the same area to rust out again :oops:

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:42 am

I'm looking at using either K.B.S. or Por15 to reduce the chance of rust re-appearing down the track

http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/

or

http://www.ppc.au.com/

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:44 pm

i was thinking of using cold gal paint inside the pannels and on bits that are hidden from view mainly because i can knock it off from work.
matt

Return to “General”