Hi everyone - is 60kW at the wheels alot for a T2???

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
N.J.
Forum Regular

Hi everyone - is 60kW at the wheels alot for a T2???

Postby N.J. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:19 pm

My T2 has been away getting 'sorted out' for over 2 months now (!!!)

Bigger Turbo, proper intercooler has been installed, catalatic converter removed as well as alot of the bends in the piping. Its really been tidied up. (dying to see -and drive- it!)...a fuel computer is been added next week.

However, it does blow blue smoke on startup (valve stem seals), compression isn't perfect , and shocks/springs + detailing are next...

The manager said it was 'dynoed' today and he said that it has twice as much oomph as before. When he said it has ended up with 60kW at the wheels I was disappointed but he sounded impressed! (and this is a guy who drives a 600bhp Skyline)

So 60kW at the wheels - would that be about 90kW at the engine?? (could be 100 after the fuel computer is added...)
Last edited by N.J. on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.

mangusta
Forum Enthusiast

Postby mangusta » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:24 pm

60kW at the wheels is up around 80hp, depending on loss through the system that could be anywhere up to about 140hp at the flywheel, or going the other way, your at around 80 hp at the wheels, up from about 66.

Which aint half bad!

N.J.
Forum Regular

Postby N.J. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:35 pm

Cool! :)

the torque is probably wayyyy up too! :D :twisted:

p.s

When I get it back, I'll post some photos.
(ie. before and after shots of the engine bay, dyno chart etc.)

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Something isnt right, thats not much power.
Taking 20% drivetrain loss thats 72kw at the engine which is 98HP (745 watts to the HP). Thats less than factory. I would be interested to see what boost that was made at.

Hondas generally have around 15-18% drivetrain losses so I was being generous with that.

Have you done a compression test?

James

Postby James » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:39 pm

mangusta wrote:60kW at the wheels is up around 80hp, depending on loss through the system that could be anywhere up to about 140hp at the flywheel, or going the other way, your at around 80 hp at the wheels, up from about 66.

Which aint half bad!

And no way a FWD Honda loses nearly 40% through the drivetrain! This isnt a bloody subaru :P

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Re: Hi everyone - is 60kW at the wheels alot for a T2???

Postby city_cabriolet » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:07 am

your a few bang less than the buck,

but its about right...

110hp isn't at the wheels. Its how it drives, not the numbers. Thats what makes a City!

James

Re: Hi everyone - is 60kW at the wheels alot for a T2???

Postby James » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 am

city_cabriolet wrote:your a few bang less than the buck,

but its about right...

110hp isn't at the wheels. Its how it drives, not the numbers. Thats what makes a City!

thats 72kw at the engine which is 98HP

If I had spent money getting a fuel controller bigger turbo and front mount intercooler I would have expected some better numbers than factory at least!

If it drives well like that imagine how it would drive making the power it should!

N.J.
Forum Regular

Postby N.J. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 pm

I think it must be 'wear n tear' after 24 years...

If you look at the 'rollingroad' figures, there's another guy who has done a bit of work to his T2 (running 12 boost) and he came up with 98 (about the same as mine). It was only when he raised the boost level to 20 that he hit 110bhp.

So I think if the car was new it would no doubt have higher figures than 110bhp. But I agree its not about the figures, its how it drives. A lot of the figures Car mags throw around these days are misleading.

I have everything else in place now so I think I'll just need to pay a little bit of attention to the engine itself - this car has had god knows how many owners and has probably been caned to buggery!

p.s

Regarding spending money for the turbo - must say I was very lucky on that one!....

Its a 'IHI VJ26 ball bearing turbo' that the previous owner offered with the purchase of the car for no extra charge!! :-)

(note: The IHI VJ26 is a diesel turbo from an Isuzu 4x4

"The RHF5 VJ26’s compressor inlet is 45mm diameter and the discharge nozzle is 43mm. We were unable to measure the diameter of the turbine passage because the exhaust manifold was still attached but we can tell you the 4-bolt flange is 74mm square. The dump pipe also needs 4 bolts.

This is a great, medium-size roller bearing turbocharger. It’s a pity there aren’t many around.")

info from autospeed.com
Last edited by N.J. on Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Blowing smoke and you said non-consistent compression will definately zap hp... need those seals fixed for correct combustion.

N.J.
Forum Regular

Postby N.J. » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Another update -

Rang at lunch today to see how things were going:

Not great as it turned out as they were having problems running the fuel management computer with one of the map sensors.

I was told that they were going to try both map sensors this time. If that doesn't work, they are going to need more information.

I've emailed a wiring diagram just in case - we'll see how they go...

James

Postby James » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:09 am

Thats one of the main reasons its a real pain to run a piggyback on a city, there is no easy way to incorporate the signal from both MAP sensors.

N.J.
Forum Regular

Postby N.J. » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Ok - its all done! :-)

They didn't need the wiring diagram in the end. They got it going with 1 sensor, they reckon even if the other was hooked up too it would have only added an extra kw.

I've updated the 'garage' with the details + a new pic of the engine bay.

Return to “General”