Supercharging

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
K1W1
Donating Member

Supercharging

Postby K1W1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Any one thought of doing it to a n/a Pro-T ?

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Yeha Its been discussed a few times on here, the general consensus is it would be cool, but its not worth it against the availability of a city turbo motor. Something I think would be really cool is a twin charged city turbo motor, using the charger of a 4-agze...

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:40 pm

Like the supercharged & turbo charged Superturbo March/Micra from Nissan in the late 80s?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_MA_MA09ERT

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/139692/profile/

James

Postby James » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Yup, they are very cool. There have also been a few aftermarket versions. I worked out a reaonsably simple valving system to do it some time ago, probably kicking around somewhere.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:30 pm

The availability is zero in Aus now. So it may indeed be a nice option.

It would be too much money to turbo a n/a, but supercharge? You would have to keep it carby to be cost effective.

K1W1
Donating Member

Postby K1W1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:43 am

I saw an article on a collector here in Adelaide has an old side valve Morris Minor -had to put a supercharger on it to get up to modern road speeds. Thought shit if you can do it to car like that why not an n/a like my red one also noticed an add on this site for electric bolt on ones . I suppose a little work on the head , extractors and free flow exhaust wouldn't go astray. Way back we discussed multi carbs and general consensus because of long stroke no point really ER motor more suited to forced induction read turbo/supercharger. Want a quick inexpensive power option . Putting a turbo motor in my red one would be a major job and I would never get it roadworthy without nearly rebuilding the whole thing .

K1W1
Donating Member

Postby K1W1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:19 am

http://www.electricsupercharger.net/?gc ... agodRUS7DQ

Just e-mailed these guys to contact me or log on to this site

MugenReplica

Postby MugenReplica » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:53 am

I'm thinking the problems for making one, would be fabricating a intake manifold to a M45 and having it properly tensioned.

I found a good DIY homemade M45 kit on a Dodge Neon once, let me see if I can dig it up again. :D

EDIT....found it but it was a M62 not M45.....

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=254466

James

Postby James » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:51 pm

I dont rate electric superchargers very highly, they essentially run off the engine through the alternator. Sure they might be able to give you a bit of a boost by discharging the battery but its not really that cool. I am VERY skeptical of those 30% numbers on that website.

As for supercharging being cheap, what are you guys on? For the cost of a supercharger itself I could turbo a car with fueling and everything. You wouldnt be able to keep the factory carb if you want much more than 65HP.

Supercharging isn't cheap and requires more skilled fabrication to accomplish, making the manifold and getting the belting system to work would be expensive to have someone else do.

If you want a really cheap powerup for your NA city then do a blow through turbo setup with the carbie in a sealed box. You would have to buy a decent carbie which sets you back a few hundred and by that time you may aswell have gone for a megasquirt or second hand EFI.

AFTER saying all that, if someone has some fabrication skills, and picks up a cheap 4a-gze supercharger. Wacking twin carbs on that would be a pretty sweet setup on a city, would be a torque monster.

Return to “General”