Misfireing

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
Hondacitypro
Forum Participant

Misfireing

Postby Hondacitypro » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:06 am

I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction;
My T2 has just developed a miss which seems to be happening under load and the weird thing is it is not constant, it will happen near the top of the rev range sometimes and sometimes as i flatten it lower in the revs ,(turbo runs a constant 12psi, plugs and leads are only a couple of thousand kms old), could it be fuel? as i said it only just started and any advise will be appreciated.

ysnooz
Forum Participant

Re: Misfireing

Postby ysnooz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 pm

Hondacitypro wrote:I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction;
My T2 has just developed a miss which seems to be happening under load and the weird thing is it is not constant, it will happen near the top of the rev range sometimes and sometimes as i flatten it lower in the revs ,(turbo runs a constant 12psi, plugs and leads are only a couple of thousand kms old), could it be fuel? as i said it only just started and any advise will be appreciated.

Check for faulty coil?
Make sure leads are not shorting on anything when the bonnet is shut.
Correct plugs
Fuel problem? check for pump failing/Drain fuel from tank and look for any contaminates /rust etc
Pull off fuel rail look for any contaminates in the buckets /Mine was real dirty in here...
I am no city expert but I hope that can help you. Best thing to do is swap parts from known working parts...this can be hard to find with city turbos ..
Where you from?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 pm

My vote would be coil is failing.

Hondacitypro
Forum Participant

Postby Hondacitypro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks ysnooz i am on the Gold Coast
leads are all good
fuel tank has been cleaned, haven't taken fuel rail off is that a big job ?

Thanks too Cozla as you both said the coil that will be my first move are they easily bought from the local auto shop, is there a number i should quote or will just taking the old one do the job?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:57 pm

Bigelboe is probably the guy to talk to about this as he replaced his factory coil with an aftermarket one which seemed to work pretty well. Unfortunately hes possibly a little hard to contact at the moment, ill see if i can get him to post a reply.

Alternatively he probably wrote something on this board about the new coil when he fitted it so a search might be able to find the info.

EDIT:
From his 'garage' info it says:

Bosch GT40T ignition coil, made it run much smoother and start like a dream.

Hondacitypro
Forum Participant

Postby Hondacitypro » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Great Cozla thanks again i will pick one up in the next couple of days(my daily drive is the Pro) and give it a go i will let you know how it goes via this thread.

Hondacitypro
Forum Participant

Postby Hondacitypro » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Put the new coil in and it has made the thing misfire sooner in the rev range so i am assuming now it is a lead or plug breaking down sooner with the extra power of the new coil so of to get new leads.

Hyperblade
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby Hyperblade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:48 pm

The electrics in the citys don't normally give a lot of trouble... I would be looking else where for the cause, timing, fuel, fuel pump, cam shaft wear, water use (blown head gasket) etc.

madmini
Donating Member

Postby madmini » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:10 am

i would look at the dizzy unit,if you search on here other people have had the same thing happen and i have as well,car starts fine but what happend to me was it got worse over two weeks got to the point where it would rev as far as 3400rpm with my foot hard down standing still,swaped another dizzy over and had no problems since.

Hondacitypro
Forum Participant

Postby Hondacitypro » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Well as most of you said it was a fuel problem but not as you would think ( i had just ran out of fuel that was it) but to cut a long story short it turns out my fuel pickup in my tank is not at the bottom of the tank as when i filled up a supposedly empty tank it only took 30 liters instead of 40. (Now i now what your thinking why didn't he realize this earlier) well i had the tank cleaned ages ago(that must be when the pickup was moved) and as it is not my daily drive it never gets less than half empty until last week of course.I suppose the upside is the car now has new plugs, leads and coil and going like a bloody rocket.I have a spare tank so i am going to get that cleaned and double check the pickups before i put it back, no hurry thou now i now the deal with the tank capacity.

Bry
Forum Participant

Postby Bry » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:25 pm

My t2 always takes about 30l on empty..

Return to “General”