DOH! Snapped a bolt

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
T1especial
Forum Participant

DOH! Snapped a bolt

Postby T1especial » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:18 pm

Hello

Currently dismantling the T1 engine for a quick rebuild and its much anticipated tickle up. I dont currently have an engine crane (although I do have a cradle) so am just pulling it apart while mounted in the engine bay.

Was un-doing the second main bolt on the intake manifold (the two bolts that sit directly above the exh. mani. and appear to bolt into it???) and it snapped clean off! The first one came out fine. BUGGER

Where to from here? If it is bolted into the exhaust manifold then it should be ok to drill it out then yeah?

Just looking for some pro advice before I potentially rape myself.

Any help is very much appreciated!

turbocab
Donating Member

Postby turbocab » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:06 pm

spray some crc on it asap,that will penetrate and help for later removal.
i would suggest you buy your self a set of 'easy outs' if you dont know what they are,you drill a hole in the end of the snapped off bolt then place the easy out in the hole it binds into the hole you drilled as you turn it to the left and hope fully undoes the bolt.
matt

T1especial
Forum Participant

Postby T1especial » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks Matt,

Im sure I have some easy outs lying around somewhere, it seems when working on cars theres a first time for every hand held tool!

cheers

T1especial
Forum Participant

Postby T1especial » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:37 am

T1especial
Forum Participant

Postby T1especial » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:42 am

Jeez sorry about the size of the image - didnt realize iphones took such large photos!

Im just going to leave the manifold on untill I get the head off (need more tools! whats with the head studs always being a different fitting every time??)

Is the manifold bolted into the Exhaust mani? or something in between? Just wondering if Im going to be able to take the head off the block with the snapped bolt still there

classichondasrule
Forum Enthusiast

Postby classichondasrule » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:47 pm

ouch, i broke a bolt the other day but nothing as inportant as that, hhmmm anyone with a super duper broken bolt grabber???

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Bolts into the exhaust mani, should be able to get the mani off no troubles. I would replace the manifold, its likely to be rust-welded in there pretty well, Im fairly sure Ive broken one of those before. Will save a lot of time and tears.

Return to “General”