Struts from EG into N/A city.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
rutager
Forum Participant

Struts from EG into N/A city.

Postby rutager » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Im About to attempt the outlined mod soon unless someone can point out a massive flaw in my plan lol. From the looks of things it will fit up with minimal rooting around.

Anyone got a good reason I shouldn't do it?

honda-pop
Forum Participant

Postby honda-pop » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:22 am

Interesting. What model City is it?

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:36 am

1984 N/A model. Nothing fancy at all. I'm just trying to build something cheap to get around in that looks kinda cool lol. Not sure What the look Im goin for would be calles but its going to include chrome 70's hubcaps or possibly some Globelines, Maybe white/red walls. Fender mirrors. Couple inch drop in the suspension to get it sittin real nice. Should be a neat little car when Its done.

honda-pop
Forum Participant

Postby honda-pop » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:56 am

I had a ProT same model. I now have a 91 GA2. All of these early model City's/Fit's use McPhearson strut front suspension where the shock absorber does double duty in that it also acts as the "kingpin" for the steering. i.e. the front wheels pivot on it when they turn. Because of this extra load and the stresses involved the shock absorber shaft is considerably heavier (thicker) than the ones used in the EG civics/Gen 3CRX's where they don't. The EG's use upper and lower arms with balljoints that perform the steering duties.

So unfortunately this rules them out for use in the City's.

honda-pop
Forum Participant

Postby honda-pop » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 pm

FYI also. Boss Wrecking has/had a very nice yellow 84 in their yard at Tingalpa a short while ago with a back seat (the better one)in it. Might pay you to check it out if you're looking for anything.

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Lol, I used to work at Boss, I live just near there. :P I plundered everything worth plundering off that City long ago haha.

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:20 pm

I had feeling that might be the case with the struts, Back to the drawing board I guess. Next time Ive got a day off Ill go poke around again and see if I can find any other more suitable suitable donor cars.

Just sucks theres nothing new for them. Itd be a fantastic car through the twisties with some decent shocks under it, Also wouldnt hurt to have some roll bars under it either though.

honda-pop
Forum Participant

Postby honda-pop » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Most of the info on here is to do with the turbo models of course but build threads are the best for info regarding sussy. You're gonna have to do some web surfing and see if you can find info from japanese sites in particular (don't ask me where they are though haha) and a good translator program will help.

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Ive always found that all the hours in the world scouring the web looking for info can just as easily be found by spending a couple hours in the wrecking yard matching shit up :) Something suitable WILL be found!

On a side note, does anyone know a good shock rebuilding mob? I got a quote of $220 a piece from WW Shocks. Needless to say I wont be taking them up on that offer :P Ive never had shocks rebuilt is that a fairly standard price?

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Well I ended Up using Excel II front struts. Havent had time to find anything to suit the rear yet.

Fronts took a bit of modifying but now theyre sittin pretty as a picture, car feels like a million bucks! All I had to do was gingerly cut the mount off the strut and use the top hat off the City strut. Fits up perfect.

Now looking back at it I should have been taking photos but you get that some times :/ Next time Ive got the front apart Ill get some photos.

I also found a few others that will most probably work in a Nissan Micra, a WB Festiva and there were a few others that I cant quite think of right now.

Now to just find something for the backs! :P

ProT
Donating Member

Postby ProT » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:43 am

Are you referring to the 1991 - 1994 model Excel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1991- ... _Excel_(X2)_LS_sedan_03.jpg

rutager
Forum Participant

Postby rutager » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:52 pm

DERP, Nah lol. I meant X3 the later model. The dime a dozen shitebox.

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Postby James » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am

Im glad you didn't go with the EG suspension as those are Shocks, not struts, and have far too thin shafts to support the loads that struts see.

Good find with the hyundai stuff!

Return to “General”