ENGINE CONVERSENIONS

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
STOCK82CIVIC

ENGINE CONVERSENIONS

Postby STOCK82CIVIC » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:14 pm

DO YOU KNOW IF ANY HONDA CITY TURBO MOTORS FIT INTO A 82 CIVIC thanks

James
Moderator / Donating Member

Re: ENGINE CONVERSENIONS

Postby James » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:46 pm

Colza and I have chucked a cityturbo II engine into colzas 80 civic hatch which is identical to an 82 hatch, its a bit of a hassle thou, youll need to make a custom crossmember thats a cross between a city one and a civic one youll also need to fabricate a custom rear torque mount and torque arm, the one that bolts onto the gearbox. the front torque arm and the LHS engine mount bolt up thou. You'll also need to run a custom fuel line and sort out where you want to put your fuel pump back there, oh and you also need a custom fuel return on the tank. You need to rewire the car aswell, I just kinda stripped the city loom down till it was just bare engine and merged that with the civic one, seems to work quite well. Use the civic shifter and drive shafts they all bolt up to the city engine. I think thats about it, if you want a bit more go without as much hassle dropping in an 1800 out of an accord is probly a good step, would only require one custom engine mount then, the one on the bottom, no wiring or extra fuel lines which belive me is a good thing. NE way if you want to go ahead with it and you need some advice feel free PM me. Are you in NZ or AUS or elsewhere?

nossed_civic_hatch

Postby nossed_civic_hatch » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:02 am

ive want to do a convo 2 my little civic i want around 150 kw to the engine  ive got around $6000-$8000 aussie dollars} am i dreamin or is this possible any advise on engines that could fit, thanks

EN1_Turbo

Postby EN1_Turbo » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:48 pm

I have done the city turbo conversion into the 80-83 civics a couple of times and what you guys describe above is wrong and costly.

THE ENGINE AND GEARBOX IS A DIRECT BOLT IN ONLY MOD IS THE REAR TORQUE ROD AND MOUNTING BRACKET (which the torque rod bolts to) ON THE ENGINE OTHER WISE NO OTHER MODS

as for the wiring easy as........... Use COMPLETE city loom from front to rear. This conversion can be done over a weekend!!!!!!

only thing you will need to do is sort out your exhaust....

If any one wants better details PM me and I can even send some pics!!!

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:30 am

I believe the rear torque arm also needed to be shortend. It also does not quite go in a straight line, it has a slight kink in it which could possibly be remedied with a REALLY crazy bracket on the gearbox but im not sure how the certifier would like that...

The crossmembers definately do not bolt up: the bracket DID require modification.

I agree that shifting the battery is not a biggie but it still needs to be done because there is no convenient space for the control box.

Wiring could be hashed up in short space of time, but to do it neatly and remove all unnecessary bits is still quite a bit of work including new firewall holes etc.

Bending up and running the new fuel line also takes a resonable mount of time as did plumbing in a return line, however I am not sure if ours has been made more difficult by the addition of the different fuel pump.

MAYBE you could do it in a weekend if you had done it before at least once and had ALL the materials to hand as well as a welder and were reasonably skilled at using it. Translated wiring diagrams and decent manuals would also help speed things up...

I still think you would be VERY hard pushed to get it up and running in that length of time. Not including the fact that shit ALWAYS goes wrong somewhere and you almost certainly wont be able to get the parts in till next week even though the courier said they would have it there by Tuesday!

PS.
Above post also assuming you have access to a full set of decent tools, an engine hoist and decent pit or hoist for the car, and possibly several extra appendages as well!

James

Postby James » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:51 pm

I second that, that crossmember either required a custom bracket or a custom crossmember, believe me if it had even nearly bolted up we would have tried, maybe because ours was a hondamatic gearbox it had a different bottom engine mount or something??? Im not doubting you EN1 you sound very experienced with this but Im just saying what you have experienced may not always be the case cause it certainly wasnt for us.

EN1_Turbo

Postby EN1_Turbo » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:00 pm

Well not to be mean but you wasted alot of time and money for being stupid and not using your head....

YOU DONT USE THE CITY CROSSMEMBER!!!!! :P :P >:(

YOU USE THE CIVIC ONE!!!!

you use all mounts etc off the original civic engine and then it bolts straight in (except the rear torque rod and mount on the engine)!!!!! I will post pics to prove it and doenst matter if it was hondamatic as my current car was a hondamatic before I did the conversion!!!!! ::)

Please dont try and correct me I KNOW what I am talking about!!!! I did this engine into an 80 civic more than 5 years ago the first time and have done it 3 times since.........

So who wants pics...... ;D

And I gurantee that I can do the conversion in a weekend (engine and loom in ther car and runinng)

Fuel lines are easy and if again you used your head cost you nothing!!!! >:(

crshbndct
Forum Participant

Postby crshbndct » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:11 pm

my blood has haemoglobin in it.
my sperm has mucus in it
my snot has salt in it
my car has petrol in it
;D ;D ;D

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:20 pm

Interesting indeed.
Perhaps when we have done 3 conversions, we may be able to get them down to 2 days too ;)
Definately want to see the pics of how you went about the conversion.

crshbndct
Forum Participant

Postby crshbndct » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:35 pm

what is a conversenion anyway?

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:45 pm

Damn good point, I think that sums up this thread in a nutshell!

OK,
I think its about time we all just started behaving like sensible turbo city owners and stopped squabling like little girls? All in agreement say "Aye"!

Tony
Forum Regular

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:32 pm

Hmmm, interesting conversation.  I'm going with EN1_Turbo and his knowledge on this one tho.  I have checked out his Civic conversion, and it's just outright nasty   ;D.  Anyone foolish enough to line up against that thing of his is for an arse kickin'

Have a happy day all!  ;)

Tony

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:57 pm

I agree, it sounds exceedingly fast. However, ours will go faster :P

(no offence intended to EN1_turbo and his mean car ;D)

James

Postby James » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:22 pm

Yeah fair enough, I concede, you are the master of the EN1

Hawk

Postby Hawk » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:00 pm

Do any of these hot civic/city turbo's live in brisbane ??? Cause I would L U V  to see one prior to attempting my own

FastAz

Return to “General”