Seam Welding.

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
MUnity
Forum Regular

Seam Welding.

Postby MUnity » Tue Mar 18, 2003 3:22 pm

I've decided to get serious with my City. First stop is fresh paint. Either Orange with a Blue interior or vice-versa.

Before I do that though, I've got some rust to take care of and I'd like to stiffen the body by seam welding it.

I'm wondering if a cheap K-mart ARC welder might suffice. I know I'll need a MIG eventually, but right now I'd rather put the money else where (by the time I get a welder, regulator, gas and helmet it's getting close to $800, and that's just a small unit that might not be up to later jobs anyway).

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Turbo3
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Seam Welding.

Postby Turbo3 » Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:26 am

Hi MUnity,

Love the logo at the bottom!!
I think Arc is a bit unpredictable for sheet welding. You are liable to start blowing big holes if you dial up too much power or not get a good join if there's not enough. As the thickness over the seam varies depending on what else is attached, it's going to be a tricky job. May be better to track down a dude with a mig and bribe him with some beers or something!!  ;D
Have you thought about adding a cage inside to stiffen it up some more?

Cheers,

Pete 8)

MUnity
Forum Regular

Postby MUnity » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:29 pm

OK, Thanks. I haven't done any welding since high school. Should be fun 8)

I've long since tossed the rear seat so I'm thinking about a rear cage, but weight is always an issue. I'll make up a rear strut brace for now.

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:08 pm

i've had to do a bit of welding lately and more to do soon, im doing it with a mig, even then with sheet being thin you blow occasional holes i think an arc would be too aggresive for it, plus a migs heaps easier and you keep finding things to weld

tur8ociv
Forum Participant

Postby tur8ociv » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:57 pm

I've tried to do a bit of work on my Civic before with an ARC. Don't try it, it's not worth it. Loose concentration for a second and BAM your've put a hole through your car. Then you spend the rest of the day trying to fix the mess. I tried it on the advice of a mate. >:(  

It's easier and the result will be better if you pay a pro to do it. Saves a lot of agro as well.

MUnity
Forum Regular

Postby MUnity » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:37 am

I guess I'll just have to settle for second hand rims :-/

What would be the most effective way of getting the gaps clean enough for an effective weld?

hoovermatic

Postby hoovermatic » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:31 pm

Sorry to drag up an old subject, but I spotted this one and have been wondering about arc welders my self. After reading posts, I don't think I'll bother, just keep saving for a mig.

I've been cleaning a lot of rust out of the seams in my city. I've found that drilling some of the spot welds, tapping the seams open with a hammer a chisel then using a wire brush on a grinder is good. Once its clean I etch prime it and use a hammer and dolly to close the seams again. Im not bothering to seam weld, I'll probibly just mig over where I've drilled the spots. Lots of fish oil to prevent the seams rusting out is good too but I dont think you'd want to use it in areas prior to welding.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:39 pm

I would and HAVE only been using a MIG.
Migs are what you should use for car panel work.

pulling the seams like that, good work :)
Ive had to chop a lot out and make completly new sections, pain in the arse but it works.

Im quite happy cause tonite I undercoated my bonnet and rear hatch, only a door to pull apart fix and undercoat and its topcoat time! :)

Jw

hoovermatic

Postby hoovermatic » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:08 am

Get some fresh pics up, and hey, if you can snap a shot if tim while he's not looking send that too, I havn't seen him in years.

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:20 pm

no worries, will post some up later...

theres tim :)

Jw

Colza
Forum Addict

Postby Colza » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:26 pm

Oh Man I wish I had a garage that big!!! The space between the walls of my garage and the sides of my car is barely enough to walk past!!!

hoovermatic

Postby hoovermatic » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:25 pm

[quote author=Colza link=board=GEN;num=1047968568;start=0#10 date=02/17/04 at 14:26:41]Oh Man I wish I had a garage that big!!! The space between the walls of my garage and the sides of my car is barely enough to walk past!!![/quote]

Ditto

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:09 pm

[quote author=hoovermatic link=board=GEN;num=1047968568;start=0#11 date=02/17/04 at 16:25:02]

Ditto[/quote]

yeah the other guys just left, so i rent the place now, only got my one car there now!?!?!

shit loads of room!!

Jw

doggystyle
Forum Addict

Postby doggystyle » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:03 pm

how big, how much.. we where looking at a 3000sqft garage for about 260 a week but we only wanted to pay 200.. stalemate a

QikLude
Forum Addict

Postby QikLude » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:15 am

[quote author=doggystyle link=board=GEN;num=1047968568;start=0#13 date=02/20/04 at 18:03:16]how big, how much.. we where looking at a 3000sqft garage for about 260 a week but we only wanted to pay 200.. stalemate a[/quote]

its 660sq meters and i rent a "chunk" of it for $40 incl power, which is commercial damit...

Jw

Return to “General”