To Buy or NOT to Buy???

Post whatever you like in here but try to keep it Honda City related!
OldBoy40

To Buy or NOT to Buy???

Postby OldBoy40 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi,

Need some advise from you guys. Tested a T2 but felt the car have loss of power and its smokey when started and driven.
Just wandering if its repairable and would cost heaps or just stay clear of the car and look for a better one.
I have just about having ZERO knowledge about the engines of a car. I only know how to change plugs and oil .

Please advise on buying or staying clear of it. Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

PS. anybody in WA that can repair or have knowledge to rebuilt a T2.

Cheers

3GCVC
Forum Addict

Postby 3GCVC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:33 am

could either be the seals in the turbo or the motor is shagged, running a compression test or pulling off one of the pipes off the turbo should tell you either way, did you hear excessive wining from the turbo while test driving thats what mine does with its shot oil seals.

OldBoy40

Postby OldBoy40 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:32 pm

please advise if to purchase or not as buyer is waiting for my reply.

Cheers

Bry
Forum Participant

Postby Bry » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Up to you on whether you want to take on the work to fix it up.

Compression test it to rule out rings, pull intercooler pipe off to check for oil from turbo. If its just turbo thats gone, not so bad. Can be rebuilt or a replacement upgrade unit can be fitted with a little bit of modification and persuading. If engine is on it's way out, it may be much more trouble than its worth finding the necessary parts for a rebuild, or alternatively trusting a used, unopened import/spare motor.

Depending on how cheap it is, I would do all tests and ensure body is straight, and if it was just turbo seals then fix that if you have the motivation and time/money.

city_cabriolet
Forum Addict

Postby city_cabriolet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 am

It will cost you thousands to rebuild the engine, because your not only buying honda parts most likely importing from NZ, but have to pay for a rip-off artist to do all the work.

OldBoy40

Postby OldBoy40 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Its great help to me. I dont have much knowledge on how to rebuilt cars but just love the shape of a T2 and just wanna drive it.

I have until Monday to give reply to the owner.

crshbndct
Forum Participant

Postby crshbndct » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:42 am

i would just echo the advice of the other posters

compression test is your friend. if you cant do it yourself, then any mechanic should be willing to do it for under $50 i would say.

if you lived in NZ and the car was straight/minimal rust, i would say buy it regardless, but rebuild parts, engines and things like that are hard to come by over there so caveat emptor

Return to “General”